Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:29 am 

Hi,

I have a 350D and Tamron 28-300 lens which stays on most of the time. With some of the deals and cashback around at the mo I am really tempted to buy a kit wiht the 30D along with the 17-85is and 70-300is. As much as I love the 28-300 lens my tolerances as my photogrpahy have improved have increased and I am no longer happy with the sharpness of some of the images especially taken at the lonbger end of the hand held (hence the draw towards the is lenses!!)

This website has been great to help me come to a desision although I am still throwing a few ideas in the air and wondered if anyone had any views.

a) Do I just get the lenses as Gordons review of hte 30D suggests that the upgrade may not be that great (apart from build quality, size and 5fps) - I ahve never found the size of the 350D a problem as I ahve small hands! - Would I be better wiating to see what replaces the 30D?
b) Do I go for the same lenses with the 400d as it has the same AF system as the 30D, same bigger screen, is still smaller and lighter (something I like)
b) Should I jump ship and get a D80 with the 18-200 VR which would give me another (similar) walkaround solution. I like this idea until I read that the buffer is slower. I had a look at this at my local camera shop and the pro there actually had this lens on his D2X just for this reason? I relly like the idea that the nikons can wirlessly control the off camera flash form the pop up flash, something I would need a 580-ex + another flash unit to do. (I ahve done some portrait stuff with my kids and would like to expore the benefits of off camera flash further.

I see that some of the 70-300is lenses have had problems, does anyone know if the batch problem is now sorted. I guess from the 100 cahsback on the 17-85is that this will probably be replaced alongside the 30D? Any thoughts.

I take all sorts of pics (mainly of my 2 great kids) but also some sports, wildlife, portraits.

HELP!

Glenn

I know everything cant be perfect for everything, that is the reason for having a DSLR.

Any advice at this slightly confused state would be most welcome.

[/i]EOS 350d, 18-55 Kit lens, Tamron 28-300DX, Lightroom, PS CS3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

When you say your images at longer focal lengths aren't sharp, are you talking about camera shake or some kind of optical reduction in quality?

If the former, then a lens with IS, or simply using faster shutter speeds will solve it... if the latter, then you'll need a better quality lens...

Or are you talking about an autofocus issue?

Let us know and we'll try and advise...

Gordon

PS - are you a Jedi master on the fareway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 pm 

Gordon,

Great site by the way, very comprehensive and I love the video clips. Much more "real".

I think it is camera shake so hence the draw towards is lenses.

I am a golf coach so hence the name, something a fewof my pupils call me as a nickname!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn, well if camera shake is the problem and you're unable to use faster shutter speeds to avoid it, then yep, a stabilised lens is the way forward. Remember they won't freeze the action of a golf swing though. For that you'll still need a quick shutter speed. If there's not enough light for a quick shutter speed, try increasing the ISO...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:54 am 

Gordon,

Thanks for that, I don;t really use the camera for coaching though.

Does anyoine have any thoughts on the the 17-85 is / 70-300 is and merits of the bodies I am considering? (400D / 30D - id there any point in upgrading from the 350D) adn the D80 and the option of the 18-200VR as a walkaround plus the option of the pop up flash controlling a speedlight?

Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 pm 

I finally decided, after much forum watching!! that the cashback deal was too good to miss and I decieded to keep my 350d body (for the moment) and bought a 17-85is and 70-300is lens.

Hoping to have some time to play a little at the weekend, hoping for some slightly better weather to get out and about though!!

Thanks for your advice.

Glenn