Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night photography??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:36 am 
I have only had my 400D for just under two weeks and have just tried night photography for the first time. I am thankful for the demos showing various aspects of digital SLR on YouTube.

I can see the need for a tripod, I'm also wanting a long range lens as I only have the 18-55mm kit lens.

Would the advice shown here also apply to moving objects at night, I take pics of trains and would like to start taking them at night.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=scTkyKARqEA

Edit: You should all be able to see what I'm talking about now. :wink:

Post subject: Moving objects
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 pm 
I've just started but here's my take. Moving objects and nights don't generally go together until you expect some special light effects. generally they result in trails of light. While moving objects would require implementing the rules of sports photography, the night scenes require a lot of light synonymous with longer exposure.

Thus, a high ISO, high shutter speed and a large aperture is what you should be looking for when shooting moving objects at night. You may not really need a tripod since either ways you are shooting mobile objects however if you plan to zoom-in you would want some kind of vibration reduction.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 am 
If you don't want light trails, you will need a really fast lens or a really high ISO or both.

Or,

You could put the camera on bulb mode, open the shutter and leave it open until the train comes. When the train comes, fire a flash(the built-in flash will not do), then close the shutter or leave it for longer still depending on how much light you want from the surroundings. This should allow the train to be well lit while keeping the surroundings from going all dark. It would take a couple of tries though.