Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Exposure compensation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:28 pm 
Even after I reset my exposure compensation to -0-, it is automatically setting on +2. It's like that's its default setting. What do I need to do to make the change to -0- "stick"? THANKS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:03 pm 
Well the first thing we would want to know before any help is offered is what make and model.... and BTW welcome to Cameralabs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:30 pm 
Wow---what a quick response. I have a Canon 40D---just upgraded from the Rebel. I should clarify that any change I make on the exposure compensation does not stay that way when I go to take a shot. I love this site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:43 pm 

It would seem that defiance could help you out i guess, as he has a 40d as well :)
I would guess that there is another menu where you can set startup values which you might have done? If you reset all values it should probably go back to 0 but you'd also lose other things you may have adjusted...
Thats just how it workd with my olympus E510 though, so I can't be sure...

ps. Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited by Paukl on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm 
does it happen on any particular mode settings?
on my 40D it remembers the exposure compensation same from the previous shot even if you turn it off in between. Let's say I have it on -2 and forget to change it back to 0, it'll always stay on -2 even if i turn it off...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:16 pm 
OwenandSusan wrote:
Even after I reset my exposure compensation to -0-, it is automatically setting on +2. It's like that's its default setting. What do I need to do to make the change to -0- "stick"? THANKS!!

You are probably setting your flash exposure rather that your exposure compensation. It is kinda confussing sometimes. to adjust the exposure compensation, make sure the "on" swith of the camera is all the way up. Then press your shutter halfway and let go. After doing so use the dial next to the LCD to adjust the exposure compensation and this setting should never change unless you adjust the value again. (and ofcourse this only works on shutter priority mode and aperture priority mode.) Let me know if this helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:50 am 
I have the same problem, let me explain:
I have Canon 40D:
at Manual mode (M) my exposure compensation is -2 and I can't change it, I've tried to scroll round button (near LCD screen) and I've tried to scroll it when I press halfway the shutter button... instead it changes only aperture values only
if I press ISO button it shows 0 value for exposure compensation....
Another question on shutter speed: Can I change it at A-DEP, M and AV modes? I have slow shutter speed at this modes and I cant change them :( :oops: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 pm 

Hi Owen and Susan, Hi Naz,

May I wish you all my usual warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Naz, I have a feeling that you are talking about Flash Exposure Compensation (page 101 of the manual) as Exposure Compensation is not available in M or Basic Zone modes (manual, page 173). On your second question if, for example, you are in Av mode then you can't directly change the shutter speed as the wheel behind the shutter button changes the f-number. If the auto-exposure calculates a slower shutter speed than you want then either shoot in another mode, Tv rather than Av for instance, or increase the ISO and/or decrease the f-number.

Owen and Susan, This is trickier. :( I assume you are setting Exposure Compensation using the procedure on page 93 of the manual. Don't get this procedure and Flash Exposure Compensation (page 101 of the manual) confused as they both use the same portion of the viewfinder and/or status displays. The only visual clue you are setting something different is the presence or absence of that little lightning bolt! That said, I don't know why the setting isn't being memorised during power off. I've had a quick look through the manual and I can't find anything to explain this. I'll have a little rootle on the Net and if I come up with anything I'll get back to you.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:55 pm 
Hi Bob!
Thank you for prompt reply, it was very useful!

Please click on the link below:

Screenshot

With reference to p101 of camera's manual, I press ISO button and I am able to change flash exposure compensation amount but still when I press halfway shutter button I see only -2

So how can I move from -2 to 0?

Post subject: Re: ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:30 pm 

Naz wrote:
Hi Bob!
Thank you for prompt reply, it was very useful!

Please click on the link below:

Screenshot

With reference to p101 of camera's manual, I press ISO button and I am able to change flash exposure compensation amount but still when I press halfway shutter button I see only -2

So how can I move from -2 to 0?

Thanks for the screen shot. When you are in manual mode then the display shown isn't exposure compensation. It's just the camera telling you that at the settings you have chosen (1/2500th, f/20, ISO 100) the picture will likely be at least two stops under-exposed. If, having half-pressed the shutter in M mode, you dial in slower shutter speeds eventually that little indicator will move to the right. Centre it and the camera's metering system thinks that the exposure is correct.

Sorry I was a bit slow off the mark there but I never use that particular status display.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:31 pm 

Hi Owen and Susan,

Is my reply to Naz immediately above tis post of any relevance to you?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm 

Owen and Susan,
I had a similar thing happen to me (I also have a 40D) I managed to get rid of it by resetting the camera settings. Later I found what I should have done, and probably why iy happened on page 93 of the (English) manual.
Muffi