Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 pm 
Hi everyone
I am new here, I wish I knew this site before, this site is outstanding for everyone interested in whatever related to cameras.

Even I didnt read a lot before buying my Lumix TZ3, I am convinced that I made the only choice I have, a supper zoom with a great lens in a compact camera.
I got my silver TZ3 for 209 us$, suitable for my budget.

I am concerned about the Consecutive Shooting, I knew recently that the speed of this feature will be limited by:
1. the time the camera need to focus between every shot and the other.
2. the writing speed of the SD card.
If I want to minimize the time between shots, what is the best SD or SDHC card that I have to buy? Do anyone know the writing speed of the Lumix TZ3?

Guys, lets post here what do u know about these cards to make as a review.

Last edited by xman on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:25 pm 
I forget to ask specifically:
Can I reach a speed of two shots/second with TZ3 using the Consecutive Shooting feature? What is the maximum speed I can get provided I got the best high speed SD card available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:17 am 
I don't think you will need such a fast card for the TZ3, the SanDisk Ultra line of cards or equivalent should be fine. Do be warned that on many compacts(this may or may not include the TZ3) the consecutive shooting mode actually lowers the image size of the pictures taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:06 pm 
Thnx grahamnp.

Friends, why not to compare here the features of these three kinds of SD cards?

of my knowledge, I was told that the "class" arrangement is the more reliable as it count the MINIMUM achievement of the card, so a card of class 6 will not drop down more than 6MB/Sec (both write and read speed) while it might reach 15 or even 20 MB/Sec in best circumstances. Also, the 6MB/Sec will be maintained during the continues writing !

I dont know anything about Ultra.
80X, 133X, 150X reflect the speed of the card (Maximum I think (??) ), so it my drop down but I dont know how much it may drop!. 133 I think is equal to 15 MB/Sec write speed.

the brand names I know about these cards are: Kingston, Transcend , SanDisk, sure there is famous brands like Panasonic or Sony but they r really expensive.

I could find a card from Transcend which is class 6 and 150X the same time, I believe this would be great but a little expensive than Transcend class 6 or Transcend 150X.

I dont know till now what is the function of the lock button in the SD cards.

Plz post what u know about these cards.

bye for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:13 am 
Well I don't really know about different SD card classes or the 150x etc. speed rating but I generally look at the manufacturer claimed minimum write speed. If the write speed of the card is 6mb/s, and you want 2fps from your camera, this means that the card can have two 3mb photos written to it every second. I think 3mb is larger than what the TZ3 produces so you should be fine.

Ultra isn't a type of card, it is a line of high speed cards that SanDisk produces, not as fast as the Extreme series but faster than the normal ones. As far as brands are concerned, those that you have listed are all reasonably well-known. I wouldn't want to entrust my data with a dodgy brand and that's why I only use SanDisk but those that you've mentioned should be fine.

The lock feature on the card prevents data from being written or erased from the card. Essentially, it prevents you from accidentally modifying the contents of the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 am 
Thnx again grahamnp.
Do u, or does any of our friends here know what is the meaning of SDSD ? are they the same SD that I need for my TZ3?
I found a card on Amazon.com and I dont know if it would work for me:
SanDisk 2 GB SDSDX3-2048-901 Extreme III SD Memory Card.
Can you tell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 am 
Glad to help xman.

I think the "SDSD" there is just part of the card's model number. The extreme should work fine for your TZ3, in fact I think the extreme series is overkill for the TZ3 but it should help when connected to your computer to transfer photos.