Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:33 pm 
So, I got myself an XTI and I've been learning for some months. I want to go pro, but i'm really lost. WEbsite with a .com domain, business card, and so on. I don't know where to start !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well it's certainly easy to register a domain name and build a website, but the much bigger issue is what you'll put on it and how you'll attract people to it...

When you say you want to go pro, what sort of things do you want to take pictures of? Remember not many people get the chance to photograph the beautiful or famous and get paid for it! Being a professional photographer could simply involve taking pictures of someone's pet or household items for insurance purposes.

I'd say the first step is finding a style and subject matter which you're good at, and try and create a unique portfolio. You may also want to become an assistant to a pro photographer to learn about the process. As friends and family see you becoming more serious, they might also offer you work, but it may not be photographing things which particularly interest you...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:14 pm 
Today I had a bad experience. That's how you learn I guess. I was about to take a picture of a poster then a girl came out of nowhere and said it was the property of another photographer. How ashamed I was...

Well, as for the other questions:

I like landscape, but as for shooting cars... in what category does it go ? Landscape no, maybe technocal but not really.. Or only Car photography. Well when you can't travel it is really a pain to spend so much in photography i think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cr4zYH3aD, are you asking for a new forum section?

If the cars were moving, they should go into action and sports, but if they're still.... hmmm, not sure... maybe we need a still-life category beyond the macro section...

What does everyone think?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:08 pm 
not moving because i'm talking about car shows.

still-life is pretty large, maybe just cars photography, I don't know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:56 pm 

:idea: AutoErotica :idea:

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 pm 

That was only semi-serious.

How about 'Show Photography'? A more general term that will still provide a forum dealing with how to cope with possibly difficult lighting conditions in a large indoor environment.

Just a thought. Well, two actually.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Good suggestions!

Maybe some kind of 'still-life study' so it can also include detailed shots of anything which either doesn't move, isn't a landscape, or isn't a flower!

This is gonna require a bit of thought!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:55 pm 

Yeah, still-life is quite good. That may also include architecture (hello Cornelius!) or industrial sites.
A great German photography forum has different sections for still-life, architecture and "industry and technic" though. The cars would certainly belong to the latter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:51 pm 
Becasue I now have a semi-pro DSLR I am being constantly asked to take photos of items destined for ebay, it's humble but it could be a start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 pm 
If you get paid that is a pretty nice start, only problem with that is that u get no rep for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:39 pm 

If he gets "constantly asked", that's already some kind of reputation :D
And he could include his name/logo in the pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:10 am 
yes, that's a good idea I never thought of that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am 
other ways to get 'noticed' as a professional are charter trains and airshows. I personally am going charter train on the Bluebell Railway on March 28th. What happens on this charter train is photographers go along the Bluebell Railway (east sussex) the train stops at scenic locations and everyone gets out and the train makes passes past this point. Airshows; on another Forum Topic someone was asking about how to get into the photographers areas at the Farnborough Airshow, and Gordon came up with an excellent suggestion, volounteering for a local newspaper to take photos of the event and the newspaper will ring the press office at the venue and HOORAH! No people's heads in shots or being right at the back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 pm 
all the 20,30,40D's are semi professional I am assuming, where the 5D and EOS 1,1D, 1DS, then the nikon bodies, are all top pros, I had a 350D and was getting paid more for the pictures than the guy next to me with the 4000$ EOS 1Ds, one of my photography professors told us, we would all be professionals once we finish the class, i disagree, pointed out by Gordan, professionalism is experience. so i highly suggest before taking out any life saving funds, learn the trade first, i was an assistant photographer, (all i did was change lens [LOL] ) for a highly respected fashion photographer for abercrombie and fitch, but i learned lighting, technique, practice, tools, technology and the basics, and i like to look back and see how i grew.