Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC

Which Image of the Volvo do you prefer?
Colour 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
Black and White 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Other type of Monochrome, if so specify 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Volvo Duette 64-model
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 pm 
Well today i just got my lens back so i decided to go for a little photo session, which didnt go so great. I ended up deleting most of my images exect for a few (the ones i m posting here). I knw, I knw there are a few landscape shots but i cant be bothred to create more then one thread for the daily session.

When i when to Skanör, which is a lill town close to where i lived to grab some shots of the sunset, and got back to the car i though to myself, wow this could do for a great shot...

so here it is, i did it in both black and white because i couldnt personaly decded which one looks better, on one side the black and white works really good with the old car and the whole enviroment, but you loose the colours of the sunset in the background. So feel free to share your oppinion with me beacuse i m always intrested in critque.

EDIT: the license plate has ben removed from the cars (which kinda ruins the pictures)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 am 
Hey alex168,

those sure are some lovely shots - all of them! The colors are rich, deep and dramatic and I find myself at a loss to have a true preference. However, I do recognize that the images are dramatically different with and without color.

Ultimately I think I prefer the color version, mainly because it shows a really old Volvo-model in what appears to be a "contemporary" setting. The very car itself does not need to be in B&W to underscore that it is an old car. Hence there is no need - in my opinion - to make it B&W.

I'd say that was even more the case in shots where we'd see more of this cars' character - the front grille and windshield for example.

There is great atmosphere to these shots and you can tell it was a beautiful day.

Although it's unrelated to the question you're asking here, I can't help but think how they could be even more impressive with less symmetry. Regardless, they are very nice pictures and a pleasure to see...thank you for sharing!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:30 pm 
I will got some more shots of the litte fella in other conditions!

thanx for the kinds words Lah! Well i think i m like them both now haha. The coloured one revelas teh purple/pink of the sky while the other one looks more "classic"

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:35 pm 
Very good photos, Alex. I particularly like the fourth one - it breaks the rules perfectly and you've used the side of the hut to lead into the frame. The colours look great. If you haven't spotted already, there's a dust spot towards the upper left corner noticeable in the sky, and another on the middle of the far left.

As for the car, I prefer it in colour. This is because there's just not enough contrast to separate the car from the sky for me in the monochrome version. Composition-wise, I'm not convinced by the moon being that central; I'd rather have it towards an intersection of third lines. You could post-process this by just trimming it and relocating the moon in the frame, then healing the gap left with the clone tool.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:03 pm 
Thanx photoj, seems as if those spots only appear on certain spots, and now that i was looking at the iamge i just noticed my screen is filthy! I have to clean that. I cleaned my sensor the other day (the blow method way) but seems as if i gotta give it another good clean longer time perhaps.

I could have moved the moon indeed using the cloning tool, i honestly didnt think about that i will have to give it a move and see how it fits!

Well i was thinking about the rules through most of the images, and i knw i was breaking the rule on the 4th image and i though i pulled it of quite nicley, sort of framining the sun..I didnt actualy lean against that wall because if i did the sun would have disapeard.

Thanks for the comments and tips Ed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:52 pm 
EDIT: image has been removed due to the precesnse of licensplate.

Sorry forgot to clone it out

Last edited by alex168 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:16 pm 
Glad to hear you're exploring what you can do with Photoshop. It's a different image now; I'm not entirely sure if it's an improvement though.

I do like the darker sky in this version. The moon relocation is to the wrong side, in my opinion. You've got the back end of the car and the moon on the same side and it's an unbalanced frame. I'd rather have the moon towards the upper left. Just a little pointer, there's a visible halo around the car; it's usually a hallmark of an over post-processed image.

Finally, I noted that you censored out the number plate in your first two images from the original post - here you haven't...was it intentional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:41 pm 
Well i was supposed to remove the licens place, i just forgot to do it, as you noticed its makes alot diffrent. I m just playing around with layers at the moment, really getting to understand the software. When it comes to the moon some how it felt more natrual to place it on the right side for me. I will give it a try and see if how it looks on the left.

I m going to remove this image form the web now as it has the licens plate of it, and the car inst really registered on me so its not my right to post it!

But i got some new shots for you to check out Ed, wait a couple of minutes (1h tops) for you to check out and give me your critque on!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:04 pm 

Alex,
great shots! love the colors, and the textures you captured..I like the house/sun pretty neat stuff..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 pm 
As soon as i get some good weather over here i will post more pix of the old Volvo, just gotta let this Snow dusk dull weather go away! Front shots will also come and some shots of the new litte fella that has been added to the collection 8)

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:07 pm 
wow!
there are some amazing colors in those pictures. Great job