Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:38 am 
Hi,
I'm planning on ordering a new zoom lens (probably from B&H) but I live in South Africa so it has a loooong way to travel...

Has anyone has any lenses damaged in transit or can I confidently go ahead with this?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:34 pm 

I've bought one lens mail order in the UK. It's my 50mm f/1.8 so that's a very small lens which is easy to pack. I guess it depends on how it's packed and the courier. In saying that, the lenses I've got from Nikkon all had good packing in their boxes. At the end of the day as ling as the lens is insured there shouldn't be a problem.

Post subject: Importing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 pm 

Roland,

As Phil suggests it shouldn't be a problem. My checklist would be:

1/ Is the vendor prepared to ship internationally.
2/ Factor in the usually very poor exchange rate used by credit card companies.
3/ Make sure the shipper is a big name (UPS, FedEx etc.).
4/ Unless you are prepared to self-insure make sure that loss or damage in transit is fully covered.
5/ Know how much your government is going to charge you for the privilege of importing your purchase.

I have yet to mail-order camera kit from abroad but I have purchased an number of items from North America, including electronics componentry, and have yet to have a problem.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:21 pm 

I've ordered all my gear (except the 18-200) on mailorder plus a lot of electronic equipment. I only had once probs with packaging: a big fat Canon Pixma MP780 multipurpose printer. But at the end the package was visibly damaged from the outside and that made it a case for the transport insurance.