Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night Shoots in the City
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:23 pm 
Was interested in making some night shoots yesterday with the g9

1. This is the fountain in front of the university in Munich, love the patina, Shutter Speed was 3.2

2. And from the rigth side with the nice moonlight, Shutter Speed 5.0
Pic 1 and 2 aren't that sharp cause i didn't use any tripod, just the pool edge of the fountain, whith the camera tilted and stabilised with my hand.
Next buy will be a nice tripod, for sure ;-)

3. Made from the bridge in my neighbourhood, with 15 sec. of Shutter Speed and 5.0 Aperture

Hope you like them, look forward for your critcism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:39 pm 

Hi flux_nous,

I see that the first two were shot at ISO 200 and as a result there's some noise in the sky, but it's not too bad. Did you do any extra post-processing? Are the shots JPEGs straight from the camera or did you shoot in RAW and convert later?

Thanks for sharing. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:37 pm 
All three pics are out of the cam jpegs. Tried a bit with post processing but found that the pics didn't become better, so I let them as they were.

Thanks, flux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
I think you manadage pretty good on the second one!

the first one is nice as well, but you have me a litte all over the place so to speak, i m focuing on the fountain teh houses the ligts i ma lillall over the place :D

the thirds one i dont really like, i knw what u were trying to go for here and the idea is great, but the problem is thos street lights, if it wasnt for them you would have gottena pretty nice image, thos street lights take over most of the lightning that comes into your camera, which causes there to be "too much" ligh in the image which is quite a bummer. If you wanna go for this effect try not to stand so close to the street lights (it looks like you did) and did u try other speeds as well lower the 15 to avoid the effect of the streetlight?

thanx for sharing otherwise!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 pm 
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, i tried shorter ShutterSpeeds, but alwasy with the result of a too dark heaven in my opinion, cause i wanted the clouds in the background to stay visible, so it was a compromise.
As regard the position, i didn't have an other possibility to shoot from, cause as i wrote, i have no tripod yet. The cam had to lay in the handrail of the bridge i stood on.

cheers, flux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:01 am 
Hello Flux_nous,

Nice going with these night shots! :) especially without tripod.

#1 is my favorite! I think the balance of exposure time is good as you have just enough light for all foreground, background and sky. The only advice might be to try and adjust the white-balance to tone down the yellows (I'd say this for all shots though).
For this shot, what caught my eye was the textures and the pale blue underneath the fountain.

#2 is similar and the moon is a nice addition. My opinion is that it feels a bit too tightly framed though.

#3 was a great idea but i guess a hard execution. The strong light from the on-coming traffic is kind of distracting :( My best idea is to maybe try to take the same shot but at a less busy time, then you will be able to keep the same exposure time, to capture details in the sky, but avoid overexposing with too many headlights.

Tell me what you think... these are just some ideas though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 pm 
Thank You Andy for your comment

Next time I'm trying to shoot in RAW also, would be better for post processing, especially for white-balance adjustments. But first have to learn more about the whole RAW thing, I'm still reading.

3.You're right, maybe it's better to tryout such street shoots at a less busy time. :wink:

2.In this case it wasn't possible to widen the frame of the picture, I already used the shortest focal lenght, the position was given, and first of all i wanted as much as possible from the fountain on the picture, the moon included.
A tripod would solve such problems, I know.

flux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 pm 

I for one really like the first picture. The colour is júst right I think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:12 am 

good going, flux_nous...I am always amazed at what happens to color at night time...love these, and of the group, I choose the first one, just because of the unique way you captured the light...I like the blue bottom of that fountain...but I also like the twin spires in the background, and the reapeating pattern of the dark windows...good stuff.
It looks surreal...like in a dream....

patti