Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:23 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
...yeah, i mean we thought the dials on the thumb and finger section on the D80 were great, now all new canon DSLR's from the 40D on, have them. Or is that just me being out the loop?

I'm all in favour of the various manufacturers copying the best features from other cameras. However, check out Steve's DigiCams review of the EOS 10D to see that the 40D didn't copy its control layout from the D80. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: DSLR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:22 am 
Hi guys

I read somewhere I cannot remember, that the the real business is not the camera but the lenses. I believe it is so true.
I think that the big brands (as always happens with technology) have enough margin to play with, and the cameras that once were expensive will end at the end of their lifespan in a much inferior range of price (40%-50% less)
If you check lens prices, you will find out that high end lenses will always be very expensive, so if you really want to buy a DSLR you have to think on its lifespan to avoid buying a new one in 6 months or so.

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:59 am 
Definitely a helpful list of questions, answers and considerations.

I don't know if it's included, but I would add:

1. Get and have both. I am looking to make my first DSLR purchase. But I am not even thinking of giving up my digital compacts [I have about 10 of those sitting around, currently using as principal cameras: Canon SD700IS and Fuji E550.]

As Gordon points out [that I did not know until this week] DSLR cameras cannot do video. Yes, that is how much of a newb I am. Anyway, I use my video mode quite a bit on my compact digitals, so no way will I want to lose that capability.

2. I will be using the DSLR for business purposes [not a photography business, but one where I will be taking pics.] To me, an added benefit of a DSLR is that camera will look far more serious and professional instead of taking pics with a compact.

Maybe a silly comparison or observation, but when Barry Bonds recently appeared in federal court to be charged, worldwide media was on the sidewalk, shooting video and taking pics. I noted that 99.9% of the photographers had DSLR cameras. I only saw one guy with a little compact digital camera. I assumed he was just some bystander.

So that's it.

Sidenote: I suspect that anyone reading this thread on Camera Labs is not deciding whether to get a compact or DSLR. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:19 am 
It's a good introductory article there and it asks all the pertinent questions to a first-time camera-buyer!

There are a few more considerations I'd like to bring into the the picture (bad pun) or emphasize more:

Price-per-shot: Economics

It is true that the CLASS of cameras we call compacts or Super-zooms, as a whole, is cheaper than the DSLRs. From an economic standpoint - at the time of that purchase - it is cheaper to buy a non DSLR.

We now live in this buy-and-throw-away culture and often forget to consider the long run. However, DSLRs are generally engineered and manufactured to take a LOT more pictures between repairs and breakdown than both compacts and superzooms.

The electrical motors on compacts and super-zooms often have to work lot more, since they often drive the zoom of the lens itself, whereas the DSLRs only drive the focusing - for example.

In the long run, it may very well be a LOT cheaper to buy a DSLR than any of the others, due to longevity.

..and we haven't even started talking resell value.

Simplicity of operation and techno-angst
Compacts and Superzooms are generally easier to pick up and start shooting with than DSLRs. They appeal to the market-segment that are mildly to acutely terrified by too many settings. Those of us who know DLSRs know that they can be used as a point&shoot as well, but on the whole the compacts&SZ's have taken a lot "thinking" out of taking pictures. That can be a great advantage for this segment. Archetypically it might be our "grandparents" who are a little techno-intimidated - and lets face it, the "old school" and very technical terminology still dominates the DSLR market - just look at the name "DSLR" and words such as ISO and white-balance..lol..not very user friendly at all!

Another easily overlook reality is that many shooters are "deceived" - typically males..lol. They love the techno-babble and the quasi-scientific language surrounding the DSLRs (I do too, so I'm not pointing fingers) - but there are many DSLR-owners who operate DSLRs MUCH slower than they would a compact of SZ - and that easily ruin that "grabshot" you intended to take.

Portability and the propensity to take pictures
It is true that a "better" camera has the ability to take "better" pictures - but. However, it is also true that good visual memories on images are a factor of how often you have a camera ready and on your body when that opportunity arise.

Small lightweight cameras can be on your body at all time - DSLRs simply cannot. (heavy-duty, serious, passionate photo-enthusiasts who see the universe in frames do not choose one or the other, but have both).

Another thumb-rule is that the amount of good and great pictures you have is a factor of how many pictures you take altogether. That goes for anyone. Everyone's photography improves over time, from where they were when they started. This does not mean that I will ever become another Ansel - however many shots I take - but my shots will be better if I keep at it. Compacts is a pragmatic way to enable this.

All this pseudo-behavioral nonsense is of course not suitable for an article...lol..but in this forum, it's perhaps OK..

Cheers :-)

[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:19 am 
I read the article a while ago, and have to agree with it :)

Most people (especially the average USAian) are easily confused though. Give them more than a yeah or nea choice, and ... well, even that is confusing to many ... couldn't they just choose between yeah and yeah? .... never mind ...

The REAL question is really this simple:

Do you really want to spend more than 500 USAian Dollars (i.e. more than 150 Euros on Tuesday, assuming a continuing USAian Dollar freefall by the time you read this) to get a DSLR, and do you want more than just pictures of your rotten silly brat grandchild blacking its bad foul smelling pizza clad teeth saying cheese in the imitation cheese pizza parlor?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:48 am 

Hi Owen,

I have read your post above a couple of times and I'm having trouble with it. I know you have added a few smillies so I assume it's a joke, but certainly on the face of it it doesn't seem to fit too comfortably with the friendly atmosphere we enjoy here on the CameraLabs forum.

Maybe I've just got it wrong again ( :oops: ) and am coming from a cultural context which doesn't understand the references. That said, forum members do come from diverse backgrounds and it helps to remember this when posting.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am 
......... tend to agree with you Bob.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:35 pm 

Well, Owen: If you could destill it down to one simple Q with instructions like
IF yes THEN GOTO p&s
ELSE goto DSLR
this forum (and other around the world) would certainly be half empty (or was it half full?).
But discerning people tend to be not satisfied with such oversimplistic answer.
-------
And may I add: discerning people in this forum also tend to be not very satisfied with oversimplistic posts :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:19 pm 
the biggest problem with a DSLR is to carry it around.. and when you get the range of lenses with you.. its very likely that you will get devorced very soon.. The possible way out though even when we point certain things like the picture quality, zoom, macro.. every thing which puts DSLR above a compact seems to disapear when we take Bridge camera's like FZ18 and G9 on board.. They both are great Bridge camera's and can do what a DSLR as well.. and they are small in size as well.. and very cheap in price in comparison with DSLR..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 pm 

Not all US citizens are dumbasses mate. Nor do all pizza eaters have rotten teeth (I am and I do, but it wasn't pizza that did it). You definitely need to tone that down a bit mate.

Zorro

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 am 
The price is what you missed in this amazing review. Price puts me away from even thinking of DSLR! I ve got a supper zoom Lumix TZ3 for 209 US$, I know this makes nothing for a DSLR.

LahLahSr wrote:
We now live in this buy-and-throw-away culture and often forget to consider the long run. However, DSLRs are generally engineered and manufactured to take a LOT more pictures between repairs and breakdown than both compacts and superzooms.

In the long run, it may very well be a LOT cheaper to buy a DSLR than any of the others, due to longevity.

I hope, u dont mind me saying, that with the huge development from year to year in technology forces the one to throw away his old digital camera whatever great it was.
for example; imagine someone is still using a great DSLR with only 3.1MP!! Even DSLR will be thrown after a while.
u can buy 2 or 3 great compact cameras and still cant pay for one good DSLR.

Post subject: I still need help!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 am 
Hi! I'm new to the forum and very happy I found this site. I take the worst pictures EVER (haha) but... I want to change that and I would love be a good photographer. So now I need a camera...

I've been in love with the Panasonic Lumix TZ5... but I would really love to play with manual settings and I know that's not really possible with a compact. So my question is...

What camera (not DSLR) has similar features (video, good zoom, anti-shake, etc) as the Panasonic Lumix with a little more options with manual settings? I really love this one picture I saw that had 15 seconds of shutter speed and you see the lights of the cars really cool. Is that possible with a compact camera? I really don't want to spend over $500... Or do I really need a DSLR??? :oops: What would you recommend?

I would appreciate any help I could get.

An aspiring photographer,

~ Alejandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:55 am 
Site Admin

Hi xman, yep it's true that compacts are still cheaper than DSLRs, but I was trying to focus on the technology and feature side of things. I admit that's no good though if you get to the end , decide on a DSLR and find they're too expensive!

Check out our budget DSLR Best Buys here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject: Re: I still need help!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 pm 
salsera2984 wrote:

I would appreciate any help I could get.

An aspiring photographer,

I could tell that I have the same thinking of yours, I dream of becoming a good photographer, I bought a Lumix TZ3 as it is for only 209 us$.
Lumix TZ5 is (in my opinion) the best compact camera, but it is for about 350 us$, I dont know if there is a DSLR for this price, but I am sure that u dont need to go above 500 $ to buy a DSLR, as example Nikon D40. anyway, check the prices and ask expert people here.
There is no difficulty choosing between DSLR and a compact. Photographer or those who want to be a "aspiring" photographer need DSLR, no question!
anyway, in Lumix TZ3 (check for TZ5), has a mode called a starry sky where the shutter speed will be slow (15, 30 & 60 sec), but these are fixed and the one has no more control.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:48 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi xman, yep it's true that compacts are still cheaper than DSLRs, but I was trying to focus on the technology and feature side of things. I admit that's no good though if you get to the end , decide on a DSLR and find they're too expensive!

Dear Gordon, I didnt mean to criticize this article, but I think price is a major factor in choosing....
Still, this is the best I ve ever read to help choosing between a DSLR and a compact!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next