Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Which Online Retailers Have You Used?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm
JacobsDigital.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Best Cameras.com 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cameras2u.com 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
UKDigital.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CalumetPhoto.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CalumetPhoto.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cameraworld.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Digitalrev.com 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
FotoSENSE.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Digitalfirst.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DigitalDepot.co.uk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ajpurdy.co.uk 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Warehouse Express.co.uk 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Pixmania.co.uk 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
The Digital Camera Company.com 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mifsuds.com 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Park Cameras.com 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:28 pm 
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the Nikon D80 online and wondered if anyone has had any experiences with Warehouse Express or any other good approved UK based Online Retailer?

I have added a Poll, just to get rough idea, What Is The Most Used. Please add a comment as well.

Many thanks for your opinon's in advanced, appreciated.

Liam. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 am 
You forgot "non of the above" :idea:

If I get anything online I buy thru my own online super stores because I get kick backs, but even that is very rare. . . .

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:13 am 
personally, I wouldn't buy anything on the net from anywhere, excluding amazon.co.uk, except if I know they have a branch located near me. Because I don't like the hassle of sending it back by mail and dealing it by phone etc if anything goes wrong.

Anything could happen in transit as well... and i know it's a minority and very rare occasions, but I've seen some courriers, when you're not home to pick it up, to just chuck it back in the van... imaging your very new expensive D80 and lens :) but of course you get sensible courriers as well!

but any of the shops you've mentioned are good. jacobs and warehouseexpress would get my nod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 am 

I've bought almost all my gear from Warehouse Express. The service is top-notch and the fact that their site also has a forum frequented by actual company staff helps greatly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I just ordered a Nikon SB-800 on Wednesday and received it yesterday.

As for van drivers, I was one for years. It's a stressful job but most drivers I've known care about what they do. Anyway, how do you think the stock gets to your local shop?

Zorro :wink:

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 am 
zorro wrote:
I've bought almost all my gear from Warehouse Express. The service is top-notch and the fact that their site also has a forum frequented by actual company staff helps greatly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I just ordered a Nikon SB-800 on Wednesday and received it yesterday.

As for van drivers, I was one for years. It's a stressful job but most drivers I've known care about what they do. Anyway, how do you think the stock gets to your local shop?

of course! I can only imagine. didn't mean to make it sound like that as I'm sure 99.9% of drivers are excellent, and the 0.1% are still excellent but have seen that happened :) but yeah... online shopping is great though, you don't need to leave the house... and if you're like me... I love receiving mail!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:58 am 

Yanacek wrote:
personally, I wouldn't buy anything on the net from anywhere, excluding amazon.co.uk

I've bought a lot of stuff from Amazon UK over the years. The only thing I don't like is that you have to keep a watchful eye open to check whether goods actually come from Amazon, one of its offshore subsidiaries or even a third party. That later situation can arise even when you don't follow the "xx used & new" link at which point Amazon has become more akin to a referral/price-checker site than an online store. :(

zorro wrote:
I've bought almost all my gear from Warehouse Express...

I've also used them and up until my last order had no issues. The problem arose when I ordered a Gitzo tripod and a CPL. That order disappeared into a black hole of silence and it was only when I phoned two weeks later that I was told both items were still out of stock. To be fair, they processed my cancellation promptly. :|

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 pm 

Well they f*****d up there. They're supposed to send one email confirming the order and then on that email they say they'll send a further email if the goods are out of stock. **** happens though and I imagine a business as big as they are will inevitably make some mistakes. At least they came clean eventually. Make yourself known on their forums, I suspect that helps.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 pm 
anyone used http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk?? They seem to have a good seller rating when I looked them up on google. i dont tend to shop on line for camera gear, even though I shop on line for most of my tech stuff.