Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:42 pm 
Heres some pics I took from a club my friend was promoting.Im new to photograpghy so Im open to custructive criticism.I am having a great time though.

Some things I learned taking photos in this situation for the 1st time is that even my 50mm 1.8 lens is not close enough.I felt like I needed to be at a distance to capture a shot which is hard to do in a crowded club.

My Friend DJing:

GoGo Dancer:

This Guys Shirt is Funny (Sorry if Offensive):

Girls Having Fun:

Let me know what you think :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:03 pm 
They are quite good, i have a part time job as a club photographer as well, just wonderin if u were using a flash difuser? I dont really shot seriously when i m the job because i just get paid pretty much to take pictures on auto but of course it happens that i do play around with things when i get bored

Something on the other hand that i like is to take some shot on Smode, thus giving the lights at the club a litte more intensity and showing up the club itself looks really neat, were not talking crazy times here maybe half a sec or 1/3 of a sec

Image 1: A tiny bit out of focus if u ask me, good shot those considering the enviroment, its not the best enviroment to take shots at! i knw and a bump on the shoulder is something i get all the time...this is of course somethign u can fix in photoshop if u wanted to :D

Image 2: the gogo dancer came out lookin vibrante and this is a really nice shot, my personal favorite out of them all, not just because its a girl on it :D but becusae of the quality of the image itself

Image 3: Hard image to take, coloured people in dark atmoshere is a real killer, i boost my flash here even some time i take of the difuser because they wont appear out of the background but i think you pulled it of quite well. That shirt isnt offensive only funny :D

Image 4: I would have gone for more of a face shot here, to actualy see thier experession but unlike the previous pictures these ladies arnt really aware of that they are getting photographed! But u managded to get some really crisps shot of them

Thans for sharing and i m not a big expert on the technical side but i m working my way up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:04 pm 
Thanks for the opinions.

On the 1st shot I agree with you about being out of focus.I dont know what your seeing but It seems the design on his shirt is a little blurry which bothers me.Is that what you meant?

I have a group shot of the last girls facing the camara but I liked capturing them genuinly having a blast.they were giving there friend a lapdance,lol! But they did know I was taking there photo.

Yes I used a OMNEY bounce diffuser.The cieling was really high in there also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:48 pm 
Yeah i think the shirt he is wearing throws off the eyes, he could have worn something ellse :P

no problem man, good pix tho! keep taking pix at events for free and whot not and then u will become good and maybe some day u will get paid for it :) or just get a job like the one i have and say bye bye to your party life! for the time beeing at least :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm 
You seem to be pointing your diffused flashgun straight at your subjects - try tilting it to 45 degrees. Although you're not going to get bounce, it will diffuse the light better.

You've got the right idea on equipment, going for a fast prime. Composition is less important in club photography, and almost anything goes as long as you do either one of two things -

1: capture excitement/candids
2: sharp eyes in portraiture

The photos are distinctive average, and falls well into this photographic genre. Images 2 and 3 are well taken with the eyes in good focus. Image 1 is not.

The final image captures a little excitement but it's horribly ruined by your framing. A little word on framing - use it to mark the the photo boundaries and to draw attention into the photo. Your frames in all 4 images do not do this. The colour you've chosen is not particularly effective as a framing colour, and you could do better by just sticking to white for example.

Low light photography isn't easy, and club photography is overdone. There's not much else left to say about your images apart from try different angles, viewpoints to make your photography more interesting, and to frame your photos differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:56 am 
To each thier own I guess as far as the framing/color goes but your opinion is much appriciated Photoj.I agree with you actually about the last design I put the photos in.Im just learning to work with photoshop.My friend who is a graphic designer was telling me the same thing as you.

Also I did have the flash at a 45 degree angle.I just havnt learned all the specifics of the flash yet.

alex168,LOL,my friend always wears shirts like that.Im actually a DJ myself so as far as not actually partying and working,Im used to that.Of course their are those that dont understand the behind the scenes of clubs and think its just all fun all the time.I still love it though and their are perks.I figure since Im thier,Why not take a couple photos in the challenging lighting to learn my camara better.

BTW,these were taken with a Canon 40D w/ EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:16 pm 
Josh V wrote:
To each thier own I guess as far as the framing/color goes but your opinion is much appriciated Photoj.I agree with you actually about the last design I put the photos in.Im just learning to work with photoshop.My friend who is a graphic designer was telling me the same thing as you.

Out of interest, what did your friend tell you about the colour of your borders? I know it can be a personal preference, but there are just certain colours that framing just works better with.

Let me post an example of a clean frame:

This was a candid whilst I was covering a fashion show in a club venue. Again as you say it's a personal thing, but when it comes to presentation, I feel that a clean no-nonsense frame will enhance where you lead your viewer's eyes. There isn't any blend between the image and frame, so I can clearly demarcate where the image is without drawing attention elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:27 pm 
I see what your saying Photoj,perhaps my boarder was a little "Too Much".Maybe if I would have kept it thinner?Afterall its about the photo,not the boarder.I will work with this a little more.I found a tutorial online on how to make different frames and just thought Id experiment a little.

Nice Photo btw :-)

Thanks.