Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 am 
(Apologies if this has been asked before) Does anyone own or have experience with the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Autofocus Lens ?

I'm a beginner but looking for a zoom lens for sports/action shots and want in invest in something better than the entry-level EFS lenses available. It also seem that this offers very good value for an L series lens.

I'm looking to fit this on a 400D/XTi

Thanks,
roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roland, I've had a chance to play with this lens - although not officially test it yet - and my first impressions were very good. It's a very quick focuser and the optical quality is excellent. The downsides are the zoom range isn't that great and the barrel is quite big and non-discreet, but then there's quite a thrill to be had with a white Canon lens!

I'd also say it's one of the better value L lenses, especially compared to the newer version with IS...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:34 am 
Pitty they are white though .... I don't understand why they just don't make them in Black .....

It is a bit like carrying a miniature Totem Pole around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:56 am 
Site Admin

I think there's quite a few people who like the cachet of carrying a white Canon lens! But there's no denying they stand out - and sometimes not for the best.

Makes a nice advertisment for Canon at sporting events though - all those totem poles pointing at the action!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:01 am 
Well, I'm a happy camper this week... got my 70-200 f4L :)

Although the lens is well known, here are 2 (slightly rushed) test shots taken this morning from above my home city of Cape Town before driving to work... I'll post some more results asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 am 
very nice mountains, i dig it.