Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:01 pm 
Guillaume wrote:
Yup, when you purchase Aperture 2 you just get a serial number you have to enter in the trial version and...voilà :D

So yes, the trial version and full version are exactly the same.

excellent, how big is it to donwload?
and i suppose once you buy the retail version you have the CD if you need to re-install it right??
Merci Guillaume!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:44 pm 
Yanacek wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
Yup, when you purchase Aperture 2 you just get a serial number you have to enter in the trial version and...voilà :D

So yes, the trial version and full version are exactly the same.

excellent, how big is it to donwload?
and i suppose once you buy the retail version you have the CD if you need to re-install it right??
Merci Guillaume!

The download is under 200Mb and the full version on the DVD that comes in the box is 3Gb because there are around 2.8Gb of pictures you can experiment with.

If you already have the trial installed there is an option to authorize or buy the full program each time you launch the application. So when you buy a serial number, just click authorize and enter it and your good to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:14 pm 
You can download the trial here:

http://apple.com/aperture/trial

And of course you get a nice DVD when you buy it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:59 pm 
thanks!

I realise it's a personal preference, but for mac users out there, have you imported your whole iPhoto library into Aperture (I presume it duplicates all your photos into the Aperture library) then delete your photos in iPhoto and never ever again set life to iPhoto? :) or how is youur mac set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:49 pm 
Yup, import from iPhoto and delete everything related to iPhoto. Furthermore, I reinstalled my mac recently, and I didn't even bother to reinstall iPhoto.

In my sense, there's no point in keeping iPhoto once you have Aperture. Both of them use a same amount of resources, but Aperture is much more powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:06 pm 
thanks!
I shall either download the demo sometime this week or buy it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:53 am 
umm... silly question probably... and i've been reading the manual over and over... but i just can't seem to grasp it lol
what's the difference between projects and albums?
are the pictures in albums just duplicate of the ones in projects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:31 pm 
Well, I don't really know I just had a look and it seems more like a organization thing than anything else. Im going to use an example of a wedding. OK you got heaps of photos from the wedding you would make a project called Wedding. Then you make albums from that for like cake cutting and things like that. And then I guess you can have more options but Im too tired to look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:55 pm 
Projects are where the pictures are stored. For example say I got out and take several hundred pictures today. I will first import them into Aperture under one project, drag it into a folder I have sorted (For camera then type of pictures) so for the previous example it would be Canon G9 -> Wedding -> 3-14-08 smith + adams.

The pictures are only able to be stored into one project, so if you delete that project, all the images in that one project will be deleted. Albums are different, you can have the same picture into multiple albums and when they are deleted, you images are not.

Smart Albums are great, because if you keyword your pictures you can make an album with all of the pictures you have key worded. For instance I have a landscape and portrait album for all of the pictures that fit into each category. Its easy to keyword by using the keywords hud or selecting the metadata tab on the left. With the keyword hud you can click which word you want and add it instantly to the picture. If key-wording is a habit you can keep up every time after you import, it will become a lot easier to find your pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:20 pm 
Oh ok I get it, thanks!
so when you make changes to your photos does it matter which images you make the changes to? or does it have to be the one that's in the project?
I downloaded the trial, I'm having lots of fun with it, especially the clone tool, i made someone disappear! mwahahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:49 pm 
does anyone know how to turn a photo into a sketch/drawing-like photo? I've been playing around but I haven't found any settings that do that yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:24 pm 
You could probably have some kind of result by playing with edges, contrast and saturation , but I'd recommend using a program made for digital creation such as Photoshop (keep in mind that Aperture, Lightroom and others programs like that are NOT made for digital cration - they are photography workflows ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:07 pm 

Bonjour,

I downloaded the trial version of Aperture 2 and played with it. The interface is much better and clearer than 1.5's one.

However, on my iMac G5 2.1 MHz with 1.5 GB of RAM, it appears to be painfully slow. I'm afraid Aperture 2.0 requires more power and more space, so I dumbed it :(

I keep working with iPhoto and, on special occasions when I have to deal with RAW pictures, I use the :arrow: Pentax Photo Laboratory, now in version 3.5. It works hand in hand with my K10D pictures.

Best regards,

Last edited by rei_vilo on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:43 pm 
rei_vilo wrote:
Bonjour,

I downloaded the trial version of Aperture 2 and played with it. The interface is much better and clearer than 1.5's one.

However, on my iMac G5 2.1 MHz with 1.5 MB of RAM, it appears to be painfully slow. I'm afraid Aperture 2.0 requires more power and more space, so I dumbed it :(

I keep working with iPhoto and, on special occasions when I have to deal with RAW pictures, I use the :arrow: Pentax Photo Laboratory, now in version 3.5. It works hand in hand with my K10D pictures.

Best regards,

Are you sure you have a G5 iMac with 2.1 MHz and only 1.5MB of RAM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:51 pm 

Bonsoir Zerimar,

You're right :!: it's not MB but GB :lol: Next time, it'll be TB :wink: