Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:31 am 

Hey everyone!

You've all shared a bunch of great pictures of all sorts and I've realized I've been a little shy about doing the same. :)
And so, I'd like to show you some pictures from a photo "outing" I've had the chance to do last week-end with a group of people from my university (we were 26 :D) It was great fun and we had the chance to go visit an old brewery that was in full production during the 19th century. It closed due to bankruptcy in the mid-1900s and has been abandoned ever since. This makes it quite a photogenic place to see.

Hope you like them and I'd love to hear your thoughts and any opinions for improvement :)

32mm f/4.5 1/8s. 800ISO

38mm f/5 1/60s. 800ISO

18mm f/4 1/5s. 1600ISO

18mm f/5 1/60s. 1600ISO

18mm f/3.5 1/4s. 800ISO

23mm f/3.8 1/100s. 800ISO

Thanks so much for viewing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 am 

No, thank you for sharing. I've not come across a post like this before on this forum, but absolutely fantastic photos, Andy! You can immediately see the thought in composition. All I have is praise and not much to constructively critique on - the only little things are a minor degree of straightening in image 3, and perhaps a portrait shot of the stairwell to get the impression of height.

Again, only minor things to what are fairly strong compositions.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:38 am 
...... Andy , you have some very strong images here...... well done.....

old industrial sites are heaven to a photographer and you have done justice to this one....... more please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:27 am 

Whoooohoooooo!!! Andy, I knew it, I just knew you would be something...greatshots, what a spooky/cool place...

love the "artwork" on the walls...some great images, and am so glad to see them!!!
Love all of the angles you managed to capture, good good work...
AND you just gave me an idea for this months On Assignment...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:28 am 

Hey Andy,

it's an honor to see pictures from your apartment - thank you very much..lol.!

Definitely good shots - good colors. I especially like the first two and the fifth. Absolutely no reason to be shy about your photography - not because your images are really good - but because this is the camera labs forums and I think we all take pride in the friendly culture we have.

We are not here on the merits of our photography such as it is - we are here because of a shared interest and passion. And because we like to share.

You have yourself contributed to this by your courteous, friendly and supportive comments and you have every reason to expect the same in return :-)

Thank you for sharing them - looking forward to see more from you!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:19 am 

Nice pictures Andy. I like the perspective you've given to the shot with the switches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:27 am 

Some intresting shots, very good ones!

I dont knw how many times i ahve said it but i love it when that "grunge" look appears on all the images!

patt kinda whent a lill psycho with her post o.O (awsome)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:41 pm 

Ok Andy you've just made yourself a new fan!

Those images are incredible, i really enjoyed eyeing every detail on every single one of them. Fantastic work.
Must have had the time of your life shooting in this place. The picture (on your flickr) of your friends shooting with tripods in the abandonned factory is one of my favourites

Quentin

Hey, I told you I was going to get my pro account someday!

My blog (in French!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:55 pm 

Brilliant shots Andy, the last one scared me a little "Saw the movie" it looks like "that room" there are so many abandoned buildings around us and they age with time yet become in a strange way more beautiful. Just crackin. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

Every time you look at a post like this it gives you inspiration to get out there and look outside the box.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 pm 

very nice shots Andy, interesting subject!
I see that you've shot at ISO 800 and 1600. When looking at those pics are you satisfied with the technical quality of what the D40x can produce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 pm 

Very nice andy.. i love 2 and 5 they look awesome and have great composition.. number 1 is good too but i like 2 and 5 better. The other ones lack composition but are still good.. very nice!! 8) 8)

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 pm 

Hey,
Thanks all so much for the replies and kind words!
I'm really happy you liked them and that they can bring some inspiration to some of you.

Photoj, I've had good composition advise in mind from reading your posts :) and I tried to apply it, hehe. Some pictures were slightly cropped though in pp.

Patti, your reaction still makes me smile :) thanks. I'm also happy the pictures sparked up some ideas for this month's shot. I've definitely had this Assignment in mind during that day and I've also entitled this tread with that in mind :wink:

Lah, you gave me a good laugh with the apartment joke :lol: I think just like you I like the first two the best... and the 6th for some reason. Thanks for the encouragement! and I totally agree on the greatness of this site through its friendly and supportive admin, moderators and guests :D Pat on the back for everyone.. it's great !

Ormina, If you ever get the chance to visit buildings like this in your area, I'd love to see some as well :) but going with others can be comforting ... if does get spooky at times as some areas are pitch black :roll:

Thomas, being faced with such an interestingly somber environments and no tripod, I find the hardest was to remain stable as even high ISO didn't always seem enough. I am [b]realllly[/u] happy though with my D40x's capabilities. It's definitely incomparable to P&S sensors :D

emp, thanks for your opinion as well! Do you have some advise for a different composition? If I have the chance to go back again, I'll see it with different eye maybe

Thanks again guys !! And If you have similar shot, feel free to share them :)

EDIT: Ohhh my ... too many smileys lollllll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:42 am 

nah, Andy, the smiles you missed were these....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and those are from all of us sittin halfway across the world from you, smiling back... 8) 8)

good on you.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:55 am 

Andy wrote:
EDIT: Ohhh my ... too many smileys lollllll

you can never have to many :D

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:57 am 

Andy you asked for me to give you some advice on what i meant with some lack of composition if you go back... well pretty much just try different angles just like you did with 1,2, and 5... there all unique and guide your eye on a journey through out the photo.. But with the other your eye wanders and its lost. So say with number 3.. if that picture is symmetrical at all try putting the camera at a lower angle and placing the 2 sides that are symmetrical on either side.. or even get something in the foreground and bump up the f number and take a pic of a sign that says something like a warning and then you can read that and look at the machine its talking about or something. (i assume this was an old factory or something) Maybe with number for you could get at a place where you can see up all the flights of stairs like straight up through all the stairs circling around going upwards.. you know.. that would look awesome.. or like place the camera on the ground pointing down the stairs with a low f number (f/2.0) or something.. i think that would look awesome.. so pretty much just experiment and do crazy things with wierd angles and with this kind of subject you really have to be artistic and not conventional which is precisely what you accomplished with 1,2,and 5.. so nice work on those!!.. So theres your advice lol.

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~