Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:22 am 
since mitchell and i were talking about window lighting and infants i thought i'd post a few examples for you guys to pick apart and like or not like as you see fit. all are of my son or daughter at various stages of their infancies and early toddlerhood... my very favorites from those parts of their lives. here ya go:

this one is of my son, at my inlaws' house. it was a gift of God, as his grandfather had taken a very very similar picture of his father at a window when he was not much older than in this shot. i positioned myself at such an angle to get a hit of his reflection into the frame. it was mid-afternoon sometime.. he was 9 months in this picture.

this shot is of my daughter in our living room... she's backlit by winter midday light coming through the sliding glass door. it's slightly diffused by the tree outside that apartment, but not by much. i saw this beautiful halo around her and grabbed my camera. i metered off of her face and the exersaucer toys provided a nice bounce to add some dimension to her features. she was ~6 months old.

and one in color:

this set was again, taken at my inlaws' house when she was 3 weeks old. in front of the same window that my son's photograph was taken. i'd put her down to sleep in her boppy pillow on the ottoman, and the light was so nice that i popped off a few shots (it's really nice when they hold still long enough to get nice pictures, these days they're both kind of hard to pin down long enough to get a good shot)...

just by changing my angle in these shots i was able to capture various types of directional lighting... i didn't move her at all (who wants to move a sleeping baby?!)

anyway, those are just my best examples of window lighting and babies. honestly i prefer it (or a controlled imitation of it) to just about any other lighting setup for infants because of it's emphasis on form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:48 pm 
I love all the shots b. but the last two are my favourites. Children are just angels without wings xx

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 pm 
i tend to agree ormina, but i hafta say i was questioning that as my son was bunny hopping on my bed this morning at 7:30 ;) in shoes, i might add, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 pm 

b.

Excellent shots, I see what you mean by the natural lighting.

Thanks for sharing,

Mitch