Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mindless Vandalism
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 pm 

I came accross this sad old wreck in the park on sunday and tried to capture a few shots hopefully portraying the hoplessness of the situation, if you know what I mean.

I am not sure about the colour or angle of the shots. I have not really taken many pictures like this therfore not quite sure how to approach the subject.I really liked the subject.

I would appreciate some constructive criticism on these shots.

F9, shutter speed 1/13, Iso 100 focal length 17mm

F9, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/8 focal length 30mm

F9 ISO 100 shutter speed 1/5 focal length 30mm

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:42 pm 

Interesting photos, Ormina. We probably won't know what exactly happened with the car except for it being burnt.

Your images are reasonably in focus and you thought about composition in the first one. My only suggestions are to shoot lower from the ground and more at an oblique angle. Colours are dull, so I'd be experimenting with monochrome or a lithographic effect.

Image 2 and 3 suffer from the same problem - cluttered with a lack of a focal point. At f/9, there's a good deal of DoF. My eyes aren't fixed on one particular spot/area. I'd suggest going for a wider aperture to get a smaller DoF and to create focal points. I'm also not sure about the use of the flash - it's washed away a lot of contrast that you would have got with natural light. Again colour is an issue, so I'd be suggesting experimenting with monochrome.

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:42 am 

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them I agree it is an interesting subject and I had actually thought about shooting in B&W. If I'm perfectly honest I forgot where the buuton was on the camera :oops: I like the idea of going back and having a second go at this subject bearing your comments in mind. It's not like it's going anywhere.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:56 am 

I think that shooting the "car" would work well in B&W. I know what you mean when looking at car in that state. makes you wounder what happend.
I like #1 best.

There are two cars down the street from me that are almost in the same state.

Would you mind if I posted 2 or 4 shots of them here?
I would not want to take away for your post.
I have not taken the shots of them as of yet, but the sun is going to be out tomorrow and I was going to get some anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 am 

Thats a very nice gesture to ask :D Please do take the shots and post, it's nice to learn from each other. I look forward to seeing them. I might play around with the first shot in the elements and try and convert to B&W, you guys have got me curious now. I have not tinkered much around the lements except for basics, still need to understand the workings of the camera.

You see always learning :)

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ormina, I think black and white could also work well, although with strong light on the wreck, the colours could look nice too...

When it comes to B&W though, I wouldn't switch your camera into it becuase then you will lose ALL colour info. I reckon it's better instead to shoot colour and convert into B&W using your computer later... Shooting in RAW will give you even more options in this regard...

Part of the joy of B&W is not just dispensing with the colour, but seeing the effect - whether digital or physical - of coloured filters on the light. For example, a red, yellow or orange filter will block out most of a deep blue sky, making it look almost black in a B&W image... it's fun to experiment with these filter effects...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hey ormina,

So what are those images titled? "ormina's first driving exam" or what? lol....I see on TV that FBI's profilers believe that the perps often return to the scene of the crime..he he.

Jesting aside, that is an interesting wreck, but it seems like you caught it on a somewhat bland day, lighting-wise. That flattens the colors and creates no natural contrast to play on. Interesting though they are, your images look a little "forensic" if you know what i mean.

Artistic car-photography is a lot about geometry. Intersecting lines - and you got a few extra one intersecting here..lol.

Suggestions:
1) Kneel down in front of where the right front light was and adjust to a shallow field of depth and snap on where the part of the front light and half a quarter foot is in focus, the rest gradually out of focus. Make the shot vertical.

2) Grab one through with the doors - one behind the other, seeing parts of the rear. Shallow depth-of-field.

3) Climb a few step up that small hill, frame the body near the bottom. Vertical shot..get some of the background:path and perhaps trees on the right side.

4) Get inside the body - rear seat - take a fun shot out the front seeing the hood. Wide-angle.

5) Like your last shot: but use macro..get a little closer. Bounce the flash. Alternately, try to bring a flashlight (LED).

6) Get there on a clear day - sunup, sundown or on a super bright day at noon with the sun high.

Post processing: (try different things to see if it adds more drama)
1) Boost contrast and saturation.
2) B&W
3) Monochrome all but the yellows and orange maybe.

Anyhow, just some ideas...

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:11 pm 

The shots that you guys refer to as "cluttered" appear more like Crime Scene Photos to me. .... which as im used to seeing look fine.... mind you they are not "as artistic' as a the others .....

NIKON D90 w/grip || D300 w/grip || D2x || NIKKOR 18-105 ED VR || NIKKOR 50mm 1.8 || NIKKOR 70-300 ED VR || NIKKOR 70-200 2.8 || SIGMA 28-70 2.8 || 2x Teleconverter || SB-900 Flash || SB-600 Flash || SLIK Tripod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:43 pm 

TheHawk1973 wrote:
The shots that you guys refer to as "cluttered" appear more like Crime Scene Photos to me. .... which as im used to seeing look fine.... mind you they are not "as artistic' as a the others .....

This is it - the difference from a photo that tells us a story and a photo used as evidence. As you've alluded to, these photos have a clinical feel about them and don't really trigger that excitement in the viewer.

It's instintive at first to shoot everything from eye level, but then you find you unlock interesting perspectives that you don't normally see by going lower or higher. I still stand by my earlier comments, and I hope you have an opportunity to find time to revisit and have a second attempt with mind of some of the suggestions in this thread.

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:20 pm 

Photoj wrote:
TheHawk1973 wrote:

This is it - the difference from a photo that tells us a story and a photo used as evidence. As you've alluded to, these photos have a clinical feel about them and don't really trigger that excitement in the viewer.

It's instintive at first to shoot everything from eye level, but then you find you unlock interesting perspectives that you don't normally see by going lower or higher. I still stand by my earlier comments, and I hope you have an opportunity to find time to revisit and have a second attempt with mind of some of the suggestions in this thread.

Regards.

I m just going to pop in here for a second, Photoj what angel "sitting down" or higher up do u find yourself shooting in most cases.

Now to the images, i have to agree with the other fellas srry, the first one has compostion, the other 2 dont really. And if i would have kept them in colour i would at least tried to bring out that rusty look a bit more using post process....but that just me :)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:01 pm 

Thanks very much all you guys for the very intersting feedback. I will jot down the suggestions and go back there in a week or so and try the different angled shot, more dof lighting etc. I look forward to the challange.

Lahlahsr you made me laugh, can you imagine climbing inside that wreck for a shot.................all those nasty little bugs and prob some poisen ivy. :lol: :lol:

Good tip sbout using raw and not shooting in B&W Gordon that is exactly what I was going to do.

I shall bear everyones comments in mind. Thank you again. I can see I will have to buy a little notepad :wink: :wink:

To help visualize the area the car was in. Along a path in a rather dark park of the woods, but I'm sure with a little decent sunlight I could make better captures. Looks like I have set myself a challenge.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:10 pm 

oh, yeah, yeah...ormina...go take some in black and white I love these car photos, and am going to be on the hunt for the dinasaurs around here, too...I loved this set, O...eye level works good for me on these shots, too...
because, gosh dang, Lah, me and ormina are not gymnists..
just be careful, O, that hulk doesn't look like it wants anyone else to bother it...but it would be fun to see if what Lah reports on works..
go give it a go, and we will wait for the results...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:59 pm 

p.s just try not to cut urself on that metal if u do so go to the hospital cuz you will need a vacine for that :D

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:23 pm 

I'm not sure about b&w. It might be reasonable, but...
To me the image is already monochrome (shades of yellow) and I'd try to push saturation and contrast up to insane levels and see what comes out of it :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:48 pm 

alex168 wrote:
I m just going to pop in here for a second, Photoj what angel "sitting down" or higher up do u find yourself shooting in most cases.

Off topic, but briefly, as low as I can, and as high as I can that pleases my eye. This could mean lying on the floor or having to climb on something. Not scientific at all - it of course varies with your height.