Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:05 am 
I've been using this camera for the past 3 years to shoot everything from landscapes to models and it finally started to die on me.

I've gotten VERY used to shooting with its LCD screen for composition AND
to get a rough idea how the shot will come out in terms of exposure. It was to my great surprise to find this feature is not common on DSLRs, I know now why that is, but all the same..Im looking for a new camera and have to have the ability to see how my shots gonna look before I take the shot!

I researched the Olympus E-510 as a potential replacement but its my understanding that you dont get a preview of your exposure, just a live preview so thats no good to me.

Im looking to use the camera for more model shoots too so I need something versatile.

Any recommendations with the above in mind would really be helpfull!

thanks


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:08 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Germany
wildone_106 wrote:
its my understanding that you dont get a preview of your exposure, just a live preview so thats no good to me.


I didn't get that: what's the difference between those two preview modes?

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:59 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
wildone_106 wrote:
its my understanding that you dont get a preview of your exposure, just a live preview so thats no good to me.


I didn't get that: what's the difference between those two preview modes?


Doesn't do AE evaluation unless you half press the shutter in live preview.

I would really like that option as well in a DSLR. Perhaps we will see this in the future - a Sony N1 like camera without rangefinde and with a big sensor of a DSLR and interchangeable lenses :) Sony (Minolta) is about to release a new series of DSLRs so you might want to wait for that since you already are experienced with Minolta.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:52 pm 
With my Minolta, I could not only see whats going on in the LCD but when I adjust the shutter speed/F-stop controls it would reflect the changes to the image on the LCD.

From what I understand the 'live preview' on the new E-510 does'nt do that..all you get is the view/composition. It wont show you any exposure changes?


tombomba2 wrote:
wildone_106 wrote:
its my understanding that you dont get a preview of your exposure, just a live preview so thats no good to me.


I didn't get that: what's the difference between those two preview modes?


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:01 pm 
Thats interesting to know! Althought I kinda need a replacement pretty soon so I dont know if I can wait a few months for it..depends what else I can get
on the market right now?


[/quote]

Doesn't do AE evaluation unless you half press the shutter in live preview.

I would really like that option as well in a DSLR. Perhaps we will see this in the future - a Sony N1 like camera without rangefinde and with a big sensor of a DSLR and interchangeable lenses :) Sony (Minolta) is about to release a new series of DSLRs so you might want to wait for that since you already are experienced with Minolta.[/quote]


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:14 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:32 pm
Posts: 9975
Location: Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi wildone_106, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Assuming the E-510 works like the E-410, the Live View is mostly just for composition. You can adjust the aperture and shutter, but you won't see their effect in real-time. You can do a DOF preview on the screen, but it's dark at small apertures, just like doing it optically through the viewfinder. If you adjust the exposure compensation, you do see the image brighten or darken on-screen though.

If you want a DSLR but are hooked on composing with the screen, then the E-410 and E-510 are really the only way to go right now, but I'd advise trying them for yourself, or at least watching how they work in our video tours, as they can be quite slow to use compared to a non-DSLR. Indeed if the implementation is a deal-breaker, you may end up preferring to sacrifice the benefits of a DSLR and go for a super-zoom instead...

Gordon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:40 am
Posts: 1330
Location: Scotland
This probably isn't what you want to hear but personally I'd go for a dSLR, preview or not. It might seem awkward at first but I'd be amazed if you didn't find it easier to compose a picture through a big viewfinder rather than a reflection prone LCD. Just my opinion mind, no need to call out the dogs, lol.

_________________
http://zorrofox4.deviantart.com/

Image

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:01 am 
Thanks very much Gordon, I think Im leaning towards a super-zoom (it seems!) and Im checking out the great video reviews right now which is greatly helpfull..!


Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi wildone_106, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Assuming the E-510 works like the E-410, the Live View is mostly just for composition. You can adjust the aperture and shutter, but you won't see their effect in real-time. You can do a DOF preview on the screen, but it's dark at small apertures, just like doing it optically through the viewfinder. If you adjust the exposure compensation, you do see the image brighten or darken on-screen though.

If you want a DSLR but are hooked on composing with the screen, then the E-410 and E-510 are really the only way to go right now, but I'd advise trying them for yourself, or at least watching how they work in our video tours, as they can be quite slow to use compared to a non-DSLR. Indeed if the implementation is a deal-breaker, you may end up preferring to sacrifice the benefits of a DSLR and go for a super-zoom instead...

Gordon


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:04 am 
Hey Zorro, thanks for thr advice. I guess its not even so much the LCD but the ability to see how the shot's gonna look before I press the shutter..so I can spend less time on trial and error in advance. It probably comes down to my inept technical abililtys but I like to still have the control of a DSLR but the luxury/ease of use of a pro-sumer(?) the review here are helping me alot! Thanks!

zorro wrote:
This probably isn't what you want to hear but personally I'd go for a dSLR, preview or not. It might seem awkward at first but I'd be amazed if you didn't find it easier to compose a picture through a big viewfinder rather than a reflection prone LCD. Just my opinion mind, no need to call out the dogs, lol.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Germany
You know, wildone_106, what I hear from your posts? That you were really p*ssed off by some pics you thought should come out ok, but your camera messed up.

You should consider this: From my experience with the D80 I've got, I always trust, what the D80 makes out of a given scene. I have everything on automatic, just switch between aperture- and shutter priority or fully automatic. And the cam never let me down. So I have no need to "control" the cam other than watch my composition. And that is far more conveniently done through the viewfinder than on the LCD imho!

Perhaps you should lose some of your suspicion, that the cam will play foul with your pics and suddenly you can enjoy living without the "live view" :idea:

P.S.: still there are some traps left to really foul up your pics: shake and focus on the wrong subject. But in both cases you're better off with the viewfinder to evaluate the situation than with judging shake and sharpness on a tiny LCD-screen

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:16 pm 
Thanks Tombomba,

well I have watched a lot more reviews from this site and decided to get the Rebel XT, and save some money for a better lens! I think its time to "grow up" a bit and just learn more about it. Like you say I can always switch between shutter or aperture priority until I've learned the in's & outs.

I already added the Canon 50mm to my list and got rid of the kit lens what comes with it, as every one says its pretty bad. I wanna get another lens though, one with a 'bit' of zoom but not alot..as I like to shoot models and have the option to zoom in at will if I see an angle I like ect?

Any recommendations on a cheapish one, as I have only $400 left to stay in my budget;)

Thanks




tombomba2 wrote:
You know, wildone_106, what I hear from your posts? That you were really p*ssed off by some pics you thought should come out ok, but your camera messed up.

You should consider this: From my experience with the D80 I've got, I always trust, what the D80 makes out of a given scene. I have everything on automatic, just switch between aperture- and shutter priority or fully automatic. And the cam never let me down. So I have no need to "control" the cam other than watch my composition. And that is far more conveniently done through the viewfinder than on the LCD imho!

Perhaps you should lose some of your suspicion, that the cam will play foul with your pics and suddenly you can enjoy living without the "live view" :idea:

P.S.: still there are some traps left to really foul up your pics: shake and focus on the wrong subject. But in both cases you're better off with the viewfinder to evaluate the situation than with judging shake and sharpness on a tiny LCD-screen


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Germany
Congrats on your new gear!

Talking about your budget: Don't you need a flash? That would almost eliminate your 400$ :cry:
If not, the EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM could just be within reach. It has a nice zoom range plus image stabilisation!

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:34 pm 
YES..! I do need a flash..Im kinda torn between the decision! I have a shoot this weekend *gulp* and another one next week and both are outdoors, so I could get away without the flash for now but it'd be my next purchase.

Im looking at that lens right now, its awesome and has IS which I could use too. I think its what I will get..thanks alot!!


tombomba2 wrote:
Congrats on your new gear!

Talking about your budget: Don't you need a flash? That would almost eliminate your 400$ :cry:
If not, the EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM could just be within reach. It has a nice zoom range plus image stabilisation!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:38 pm 
If I get this, would I still need to get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II you think?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Germany
Well, there is some overlap here. The prime lens has a wider aperture but no stabilization. That means that in available light, you might be able to avoid shake with both. The 50mm has to be opened wider which gives a smaller depth of field whereas the zoom has to take a longer shutter-speed.
The more versatile solution certainly is the zoom, so if you want to make the most out of your budget buy that.
You can see a test of the lens here.

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group