Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:34 pm 

I totally agree with zorro here: If the result of postprocessing is not pleasing to your eye and not convincing, then don't vote for it.
--------
I find myself constantly asking if someone pulled the slider for saturation in p-p to give his photos those colors. But in the end it doesn't matter! The only Q that counts: has the photog hit the nail, or is/has he gone overboard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50 pm 
yeah that is what it all comes down to what YOU like, how they got there is just a very intresting fact, and pos processing is sure somethign that is part of modern photography! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 pm 
Nothing more to say than Zorro. Furthermore, when you develop your pictures yourself, you can end up with very different result depending on how you develop your picture. Post processing is similar to this in many ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
bornlate - I liked the 'chains of time' theory and I loved the star filter's effect but...I don't fully understand the 'flight of imagination' + the plane part. Kindly enlighten me.

SnS

In my imagination I can fly.
In reality, time has created circumstances which stranded me in a place and fate I cannot escape for any foreseeable future.
It is a thing that happens to many of us.

My little plane is grounded forever, as it is not built to physically fly.
It is just a toy, even though I would love for it to fly!
That is what time and fate can do.

In a way we are all shackled and grounded, even if one's imagination doesn't fly past the chains anymore, like children's dreams do.
But maybe that is the worst of all chains, the one that binds and kills imagination for so many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am 
luis wrote:
Maybe the person choosing the theme should state how much post processing is allowed?

How about we try this approach on the next assignment?

A similar idea would be to alternate months, but this might not be so practical.

Btw, TheHawk, why didnt you include the name of the person u quoted from? =P

UPDATE: Ooh I geddit now. Thanks for explaining, bornlate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:50 am 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
Quentin - Again, a unique representation of the theme which I would never have thought of. But how come theres some light that looks like a reflection? Is it because you shot through glass? (Please pardon me if this was an intentional effect i havent learnt of, im still a beginner. :? )
SnS

Chill SnS! its not like i wasn't a beginner either 8) all i did was zoom on the subject (here the central TIME magazine) to give an opprsessive and "invading" effect. Plus it enlarges the word TIME (if you look close enough) over the magazines. Thought it looked nice...

I agree with Luis who said that the person that gave the topic should decide wether or not post processing should be allowed. On the other hand post processing reflects people's style, and everybody's different!

Quentin

PS: Bornlate your shot really caught my eye! great work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:16 pm 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:

Btw, TheHawk, why didnt you include the name of the person u quoted from? =P

Sorry , i just copied the statement and when i pasted it in the quote i forgot who said it..... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm 
TheHawk1973 wrote:
Sorry , i just copied the statement and when i pasted it in the quote i forgot who said it..... :)

lol ok :D i do that sometimes lol

btw u can click Quote and delete every part of the text u dont want. this leaves the name there.

SnS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:43 pm 
Regarding the post processing discussion:

Maybe some would disagree, but here is my take, as I shoot RAW exclusively these days - I finally have the neatest equipment I could even dream of 30 years ago, and I want maximum quality potential for my snapshots :)

There is processing, the kind that simply "develops" the modern equivalent to film and adjusts exposure and contrast values.
In a traditional photolab a color filter would have been used to then also adjust color values.

Then there is POST processing, where you take finished images and do something with them, like a collage, or twisting parts of an image into twirly thingies, etc.

In other words, it is a question of the modern equivalent of "processing and printing" to recover the scene as shot in camera to get as close to "natural eye appearance" as possible, vs. pure special effects.

I think it should be made clear what type of processing is talked about and specified in challenges, as a blanket statement could even keep RAW shooters out. And the older Sigma DSLRs can only do RAW if I remember right ;)

later
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:42 am 

bornlate, you are a poet!! love the entries for the "time" being...

whoohooo...I am working on one, and so is Ormina...

should be ready by next week...

I am waiting for Seattle Steve and Roy to go first...lol...

and Lah, whatcha upto?

hmmmm..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 am 
patti wrote:

I am waiting for Seattle Steve and Roy to go first...lol

patti

Don't hold your breathe..... could be some time (pun intended)yet.... :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:03 am 

SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
Bjorn - This is a great image but one very big thing I personally find bad (strictly in my own opinion). Heavy editing makes it stray from photography! I still prefer a pure photo preferably lightly edited(if at all). On the good side, my first reaction when I saw your photo was "OMG WHY DID HE RIP IT OFF FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?" :D (its a compliment btw, national geographic has awesome photos)

SnS

I actually agree with your opinion about heavy editing, I don't like it very much either (not yet at least). But the photos I took weren't very good without this much editing.
I don't know how NG photos look, but thanks for the compliment.

luis wrote:
Maybe the person choosing the theme should state how much post processing is allowed?

I think that's a great idea!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:42 pm 
Still working on my "time shot" looking forward to posting it 8) 8) I have had to do a bit of research , not done this kind of shot before. The plot thickens! We still have three weeks to go, but I think I will need a lot of trial shots first. Just like to keep you guys guessing. I'm loving it.

cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:10 am 

ORMINA!!! did you leave the door open, and now look. Fairground has posted an entry, and we are gonna hafta work even harder to beat this one.

Roy. I want you to know I took a picture of a train today...it wasn't going very fast, but I managed to blur it up, anyways. It was a Union Pacific engine, and some tanker cars behind. There was a caboose, but I missed it.

Steve is silent, as is Lah...this does not bode well, for us, Ormina. It means all of the past posters are busy...and they are working on good stuff...

Good job Fairground...and ..Quentin...with the time magazines all over the layout...hmmm. VERRRRRRY cool...Bjorn being smart and posting a good one so soon...bornlate will be hard to beat, too..son of a flipper. bthall 17, has capitalized on the moment in time..I see..and grahamnp
he has the edge with posting that clock first...took my idea, he did.
No sns. No rich. No photoj. Above all, I am still hoping zrmi is out of the country, and has dead batteries. The only way I could beat him.. He prolly packs an extra set, or ten, tho, knowin him. Nick..I thought you would at least be in here, by now. I know Luis is plotting something spectacular, as is Roland...Ormina, hurry up on this one...wudja? And Jazz, where ya be? Thomas..I can see you wringing your hands, and saying muhahhhahhhahha...conjuring up something extrodinary, no doubt.
ChinaMark...not around yet...I know he is up to something...
Big Pix. Are you coming to the party?
Bring the bird for your hat...I loved that photo.
I know b is working on something...I saw a little of it in raw form, I am thinking, I wish I had a day off to just go shoot some pictures...
But time escapes me, so far.
Too fixated on trucks. That must be the problemo....

dang it.

No TELLING how many lurkers are gonna show up this TIME...and I can hardly wait to see all of your good shots...Time being what it is, Ormina, we still have three weeks...it looks like we are gonna need it.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:23 am 
Wow another great interpretation of time. Well done Fairground, I like it. Time has so many different meanings, they just keep adding up.

I asked my daughter for her interpretation of time, she came up with a couple of fantastic ideas, nothing that I would have thought about. Such a diverse subject.

I'm off prop hunting today 8) sticking to my first idea

Cheers Ormina

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next