Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:52 pm 
The screen is bigger, but do you have any idea if its resolution is bigger ? If the new EEEPc has a 1024x768, or even a 800x600, I'll probably buy the new model this summer.

These machines are the future of portable computing :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:59 pm 

According to the PC Pro article "The resolution will however be receiving a boost, increasing to 1,024 x 600 from the 800 x 480 found in the original". :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:26 pm 
Excellent - the EEE PC is now a very worthy machine...thanks Bob ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Yep, I'm quite excited about this...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, as some of you may know, I also write a hardware / upgrading column for Personal Computer World magazine in the UK - I recently wrote about the Eee PC in this column and have had lots of feedback from other owners - and the great thing about PCW is its readers are generally very knowledgable techies who are doing some really interesting stuff!

One reader emailed with a neat project for his Eee PC as a rugged front-end for in-car navigation in remote or unsuual parts of the world. I thought you might find his page on it interesting:

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/satnav800.htm

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:42 pm 

Hi folks,

According to this Trusted Reviews article the UK pricing for the new Eee PC models has the "Eee PC 900 Win" with Windows XP pre-installed, an 8.9" 1024 x 600 screen, 1GB RAM and a 12GB SSD for £329 inc. VAT. The "Eee PC 900", running Linux and with 20GB of storage, will be the same price.

Having shared the news I'll add a dash of caution. It seems amazing but one can fairly argue that one is paying for the small size of the Eee PC. I've just noticed that our affiliate store Dabs.com is selling the Toshiba L40 Dual Core T2130 512MB 60GB DVDRW Vista Home Basic for £324.98 onc. VAT and you can, until April 30th, claim another £50 cashback from Toshiba. This unit has a 15.4" TFT screen with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels, a T2130 1.86 GHz Dual-Core CPU with 512 MB RAM ( :evil: ) and a 60 GB HDD. I haven't read any reviews but at £274.98 it makes the Eee PC look a tad expensive, even after upgrading the Toshiba's memory, unless the Eee PC street price is rather lower than the £329 quoted above.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:57 am 
Site Admin

This is always going to be the risk with products like the Eee.

A major part of its charm was the low price, but as people request and Asus add more features, the price goes up and as Bob says, it approaches 'proper' laptops.

I hope they don't price it out the market...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:44 am 
For those who do not like the version of Linux that comes with the Eee, it is now fully supported by Mandriva Linux

Mandriva is a lot more popular than Xandros (which comes with the Eee), and I would say better suited to people who want to use it for more than Asus expect - e.g. the Mandriva repository has has Gimp, Cinepaint,digiKam, RAW plugins for GIMP and Cinepaint etc.

It increases the chance that I will buy an Eee, as I use Mandriva on my desktop already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 pm 
I was thinking of getting an EEE for use with the software that comes with the Canon 450D.

These little machines have a big fanbase and alot of modding and tutorials for them. They really can be customized to suit your needs, as long as you aren't scared to take a couple screws out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

Would you be able to run photoshop on there? Or would you need a windows version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

I tried to install Photoshop CS2 on the Eee, but it refused, saying you needed a 1024x768 display as a minimum. I'm not sure what it will say with the latest 900 version with a 1024x600 display, but when I get hold of one, I'll let you know!

In the meantime, there's always GIMP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 pm 
I was reading that the new EEE will have the Intel ATOM proccessor. it's tiny, as in, tiny, and is 1.6ghz with only around 2.5w power usage. That should be alright for using photoshop (along with 1gb RAM)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm 
DecompStar wrote:
I was reading that the new EEE will have the Intel ATOM proccessor. it's tiny, as in, tiny, and is 1.6ghz with only around 2.5w power usage. That should be alright for using photoshop (along with 1gb RAM)

High CPU frequency doesn't mean it'll be a good performer. Via's cpus aren't anything to write home about even at 1.5 Ghz, at least so most of the reviews say.

THe GIMP's actually a pretty decent tool. It does almost everything I need most of the time. Paired with UFRaw or RawTherapee, it makes it a very good photo editor, the best free one there is atm.
I don't work with many photos as the same time, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:59 pm 
Slapo wrote:
DecompStar wrote:

High CPU frequency doesn't mean it'll be a good performer. Via's cpus aren't anything to write home about even at 1.5 Ghz, at least so most of the reviews say.

THe GIMP's actually a pretty decent tool. It does almost everything I need most of the time. Paired with UFRaw or RawTherapee, it makes it a very good photo editor, the best free one there is atm.
I don't work with many photos as the same time, though.

But this is Intel, not Via. Via haven't exactly got a reputable track record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:33 pm 
DecompStar wrote:
But this is Intel, not Via. Via haven't exactly got a reputable track record.

So what? That still does not guarantee good performance. Not that it can outperform Via's CPUs nor perform half as good as the current C2D CPUs.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I've googled "intel atom benchmark" and the performance of Atom seems to be pretty poor. Sure, it's cool, but not all that usable for stuff other than e-mail, web and some video watching, at least not if you expect things to be speedy.

One link for them all:
http://www.uberpulse.com/us/2008/03/chi ... _video.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next