Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:52 am 
It's good to see a lot of activity in this thread. Well done everyone for taking part, and thank you to those who've kindly placed their vote on my entry. It's going to be a close one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:14 am 
It is indeed a long and interesting thread. I had not realized in the beginning that we could pop into this section and participate on the entries and the assingment in general.

I confess to votong for zrmi, quite simple because if I closed my eyes and imagines somehwere I would like to be. On top of that hill with that beautiful little cow would do the ticket for me. It is just such a beautiful shot.

Every entry has been fantastic and given us a little hint of where/who we are.

I've said it before and I will say it again, what a great choice of subject.

Khol, thank you.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:54 pm 
Already day two for the poll and 60+ votes :!: :!:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 am 

Putting a notice on the front page was just what this thread needed. It's also great to see how many photos are getting strong support. There doesn't seem to be a clear leader yet.

I imagine the March theme will be a popular one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 am 

I think every one of us whether we lurk or are members, celebrate the uniqueness that make us photographers..dabblers, or professional, newbie or old hand. I know in my heart of hearts there are some great lurkers out there, who sort thru their photos, and think they will hang back..for now.. but soon will join us.. when they feel up to it, they will bring it. The number of votes proves that we are all in it together, and I am gleeful for who ever wins...for me the joy comes in knowing that I am gettin it, even tho some of my best shots, like the boat are lucky shots..I still stand in line right next to you..hoping that your next shot is indeed the winner, and that I continue to learn from you all. The fact that we live all over the planet, and have eeked out a spot for ourselves, just makes me so happy.

p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:19 am 
...... Patti, you can hold your head high.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:29 am 
This is a TOUGH vote :D
I have to say, it is nice to see all of these pics of everybody's home, and having to pick a favorite is just about not fair :)
Just joined here after reading many great reviews, and may I say, I am starting to like this site a lot better than that dpreview thingy, because this is so much closer to what really counts :)
From the images I see, I feel at home here, because this is what shooting pics is about, no matter if film or pixels, just seeing one's environment!
Thanks a lot to Camera Labs and to all of you folks with your neat pics!!!

later
Owen in Tacoma (why am I stranded here anyway ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Owen, welcome to the Cameralabs forums, and good work on posting an entry so soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 pm 
Way to go patti see you are now equal first place at the mo with zrmi (9 votes each), got a good feeling you could win this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:43 am 
Defiance wrote:
Way to go patti see you are now equal first place at the mo with zrmi (9 votes each), got a good feeling you could win this

Zrmi's back ahead. Sadly you spoke too soon...It's going to be a close one as I and many have said. The standards of entry are on the up. It's already visible with the March entries so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:22 am 
Photoj wrote:
Zrmi's back ahead. Sadly you spoke too soon...It's going to be a close one as I and many have said. The standards of entry are on the up. It's already visible with the March entries so far!

As far as this next context is concerned - very often the simple images are the most compelling - so don't think in terms of special effects and post processing, but in catching a sight of something special that makes you think "this is neat" - that's what photography is all about :)

And I still think that THIS one is a tough and just about unfair selection, because the place one lives in can be very dear and personal or special or spectacular in a way that takes a second look :)

For me it was actually a toss between several images, all of which are beautiful or special in their own way.

The very first country scene by Rich for example is beautifully captured and so far has no vote - maybe I should have waited and made a choice after a second look instead of going with a "this has something extra" reaction" :)

later
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:31 am 
Quentin got my vote!!

It was a toss between photoj, Andy, and Quentin.

Photoj--I love your shot, but I feel I have seen it before. . . Like on the cover of a travel mag. if not. . . it should be!!

Andy-- I love the colours and the sharpness and the framing. Very well done!!

Quentin-- I don't know what it was but you just cought my eye the most. Great job!!

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 am 

Looking over the entries I feel

LahLahSr & SeatleSteve have portrayed their "place" well.

LahLahSr, your image has potential and looking at your submissions for the actinic scintillations has me wondering why you think you don't do landscapes! The reason I think it has potential is that I see your "place" but the foreground becomes the dominant factor in the photo, perhaps a horizontal orientation may have served you better. The quality of the blue in your photo is quite soothing.

SeatleSteve I really like the quality of light you have captured at what appears to be the hub of your town's operations. It appears you have captured the essence of your "place" There is a minor issue about the foreground elements, but I think quality of light makes this a good photo.

Hailstorm, I like the local color of your place but I am missing some context to key me into your particular place, perhaps if it did not have such a tight cropping.

Dr.Mcq, I wonder if you could try an experiment where you take two exposures without moving the camera. One at dusk to capture the details of the scene while there is still evening glow of the sun and then a similar one to the one you've posted. Combine the two together. I think I get a little lost in the large void around the fountain, losing some of the context of your place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:42 am 

I'm just tickled I figured out how to download the photos...and to tell ya the truth, am thrilled to participate...to me, everyone wins...when they take their camera out and challenge themselves. I think the March assignment is going to stir some real interest...and, like you, I can't wait..
And look at 12 whole pages of comments, and encouragements...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 am 
This is so exciting. I'm glad I'm not a betteing person, you just never know until they reach the winning line who is going to get there. Everyone a worthy winner though sadly there can be only one.

I agree with the quality of photgraphy on this forum, we are all in various stages of learning and developing, it's so good to watch I'm greatly impressed, especially when you realize some of our members are still at school and college.

I personally know what it took to post that first picture................then whoosh you become addicted.

Cheers Ormina

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next