Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:58 pm 
Questions about this fairly cheap lens pop up every now and then and since I have it, I thought I just might post a mini review with sample images and some of my comments.

There are no MTF charts here, just photos and words.

The lens isn't a featherweight, but it is still fairly light for a telephoto lens of this range.

I don't have many shots at 300 mm, but I do have a few at 200-300 mm, which is probably the are that is going to interest most of you looking at this lens.

Before post photos, a word on autofocus. I have the older version which doesn't focus on the D40(x) as it has no built-in AF motor.
Despite that, focus is fairly quick and accurate in the 70-200 range, it's somewhat slows down above 200 mm, although its accuracy is still pretty good most of the time.
If I'm tracking fast subjects and I happen to focus on something else (or point at something that confuses the AF), the lens can go through the whole range, which is pretty slow. It doesn't happen all the time, though. If you manage to keep your subject on the centre AF point, birds in flight are also doable.

For stills, however, my copy is pretty sharp even at 300 mm, even a bit sharper below.

Now some photos (mostly swans, ducks and seagulls).

A 100% crop, shot with a monopod (click for a PNG), raw converted in RawTherapee, no noise reduction applied:

Resized crops:

I've also tried to use it with a Canon 500D close-up lens, but the image quality is degraded a LOT, with only the centre usable (not all the time, though), but it's a rather inexpensive way to get about a 0.90 magnification. Of course, you have to use the macro switch to get the biggest magnification. With the switch on, you can't get below 200 mm, to turn it off, zoom out to 200 mm and turn the focus ring to make the lens as short as you can. You can switch back to non-macro mode again.

As you can see, the bokeh can be pretty smooth for a cheap lens.

Mods, if this should go to the Lens Gallery section, please move it there.

Any questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:59 pm 
Some more shots (all resized crops):

A bee (bigger)
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1455/dsc4843filteredcropsmalen4.jpg

A dragonfly

A hopper

A ladybird

A swallow

A darkling

And the Moon, 100% or 90% crop
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7834/dsc3609crop02pngss6.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:06 pm 
Wow! Fantastic shots Slapo! Looks like a really good lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:14 pm 
Thanks grahamnp,

it's pretty good for the price :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Some really nice shots there... I especially like the insects...

Some looked a bit grainy though - were they converted to 256 colours (or into a GIF) at some point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Some really nice shots there... I especially like the insects...

Some looked a bit grainy though - were they converted to 256 colours (or into a GIF) at some point?

Thanks Gordon,

nope, some of them were edited in 8-bits per channel too much (levels and curves), so some posterization has occurred, it might be more obvious in the swallow shot.

The graininess is there because I often don't apply any (or only little) noise reduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm 

Bonjour Slapo,

Very nice pictures, with excellent play with the light :)

I'm impatient to see the Pentax DA* 60-250 mm F4 ED [IF] released to take pictures of birds :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:47 am 
Whats the aperture on this lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:35 pm 
rei_vilo wrote:
Bonjour Slapo,

Very nice pictures, with excellent play with the light :)

I'm impatient to see the Pentax DA* 60-250 mm F4 ED [IF] released to take pictures of birds :!:

Hello rei_vilo and thanks :)
The Pentax does look interesting, on paper, I'm a little curious myself, even though I shoot with a Nikon at the moment.

marzy wrote:
Whats the aperture on this lens?

If you mean the physical size of the little hole in this lens, then I have no idea, but if you want to know what the lowest F-number is, it's F4-5.6 (at 70-300 mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 am 
Thanks, that was what I was after, I couldn't find it on there website but knowing me I prob went straight past it.