Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:11 pm 

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 pm 
eddcunningham wrote:
Any news on if collages are allowed yet?
If they are, I have a killer idea - although I fear half of this forum may be doing a similar thing =P

why not...... as looking at the entries that are already in I would say that collages are a good way to present your work......

....... and small boarders do finish off the work...... there are lots in the layers pallett in Photoshop that come with the program

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:48 am 
......... 3 entries...... and 437 lookers....... hope we get as many entries...... would make it a lot of fun

edit: some hours later......... 503 lookers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 am 
bornlate how did you get the like light to beam off on the high lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:29 pm 
marzy wrote:
bornlate how did you get the like light to beam off on the high lights.

I used a star filter

later
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:11 pm 

Owen (bornlate), I love the effect of the star filter, it's wonderful. So is the rest of the photo by the way. :D

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Owen (bornlate), I love the effect of the star filter, it's wonderful. So is the rest of the photo by the way. :D

- Bjorn -

Well - thanks! :)

I really like the PS layering job you did, and the frame looks just right, for a perfect image!

What a theme! I am looking forward to the other entries!

When I started with my first digicam, I explored more of the things one can do in image editing software.
Many things that used to be done in camera with filters for color and exposure correction, multiple exposures, etc, are now possible in post production.

But many of those things don't look quite the same when done in software or they take way too much work.
So, fortunately for cameralabs.com and all the advertisers, there is still need for some gear.

Now, regarding filters - Ken Rockwell said it better than I could in a few minutes here:
http://www.tiffen.com/rockwell_on_tiffen.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com

And for those interested in collages and photo manipulation, I occasionally hang at this nifty Yahoo group of artists that does intriguing stuff here:
http://www.pbase.com/creativematrix

If only there were more .... TIME for having time ;)

later
Owen - who was born late and is still catching up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:27 am 
Once again Quentin, nice take on the topic! I like the double meaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Cool interpretation of this months submission Quentin !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
grahamnp - I love the way the photo moves through time :D I would never have thought of this.

Bjorn - This is a great image but one very big thing I personally find bad (strictly in my own opinion). Heavy editing makes it stray from photography! I still prefer a pure photo preferably lightly edited(if at all). On the good side, my first reaction when I saw your photo was "OMG WHY DID HE RIP IT OFF FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?" :D (its a compliment btw, national geographic has awesome photos)

bthall - Did you get someone to tune it to 5:59 before firing the shutter? =P

bornlate - I liked the 'chains of time' theory and I loved the star filter's effect but...I don't fully understand the 'flight of imagination' + the plane part. Kindly enlighten me.

Quentin - Again, a unique representation of the theme which I would never have thought of. But how come theres some light that looks like a reflection? Is it because you shot through glass? (Please pardon me if this was an intentional effect i havent learnt of, im still a beginner. :? )

All this was just opinions from this novice photographer - I found this theme very tough. A very big sorry if I sound very critical - please do not misinterpret my intentions - I am not a good writer :(

SnS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:53 pm 
I love all theese interpretations of time, love your idea on time Quentin. I can't wait to see the rest of the entries. Bthall that shot made me thinkof my son and bornlate I have an aviation shot to do later this year, your entry has given me an extra edge to my original thought. :D :D

I have my idea in mind, just need to figure out how to do it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 pm 
Quote:
Heavy editing makes it stray from photography! I still prefer a pure photo preferably lightly edited(if at all)

i totally agree there....
even witth Collages and the like....

I thought it was a Photo Assignment ... not a digital editing one? :?

Just my $0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:51 pm 

TheHawk1973 wrote:
...I thought it was a Photo Assignment ... not a digital editing one? :?

Just my $0.02

Perhaps some months we could have a rule stating "no post-processing other than cropping" and for other months we could have a free for all.

Have a look at the thread Post-processing: The Devil's Dilemma. With only 24 votes cast in the poll so far it may not be totally representative but the distribution of votes suggests that as far as post-processing is concerned "Moderate - but all areas of the shot should be treated the same way" is the close to the comfort zone of most members.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 pm 

Post-processing is an integral part of moden photography. You don't like it, don't vote for it.

I'm tempted to say "end of..." but I'm sure it won't be.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 pm 
Maybe the person choosing the theme should state how much post processing is allowed?

How about we try this approach on the next assignment?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next