Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: just another portrait
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 pm 
this is a shot i made for a friend of mine who was in a desperate need for a portrait :lol: so i decided to help him.

i tooked another 2 friends to help me (one with his office where we improvised some sort of studio, and another with a 250W lamp!)

this is my favourite shot, although i was in a desperate need for a third source light for the shadows in the background, wich "ruined" my shot. it would have been perfect. so, this is the shot:

the EXIF:

Picture
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shutter Speed: 1/100 second
F Number: F/5.0
Focal Length: 41 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Date Picture Taken: Feb 13, 2008, 11:22:50 PM

post-processing: unsharp mask, color saturation and curves on lightness for a better contrast. tweaked the white balance too for better color rendition.

i had just 2 source lights, a 250W lamp and the built-in flash unit!

any critique is higly encouraged!

thanks,
Vlad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:58 pm 
Hi Vlad

For some reason I see soft spots on some parts of the face. It is not really a problem but maybe you could improve that. Maybe is the lens, by the way, what lens are you using?

As you say, this is a very high quality photo if you take care of shadows.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 pm 
Hi,

Unfortunately it was the kit lens 18-55 mk II. I couldn't get sharper results no matter what i used, auto or manual focus.

Thanks for you appreciations,
Vlad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Vlad I like it - technically, the only thing I'd try to avoid are the shadows behind him, maybe by adjusting the lights or positioning him further from the background... but it's still a great shot.

Was he happy with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:43 pm 
Hi, nice shot.

I've seen a videotutorial (actually a serie of videos) on youtube about model photography. And that guy mentioned something about trying to make a "triangle shadow" on one side of the face so it doesnt become "flat" due to the massive amout of light from a flash.

With gordons approval i can link the tutorial in this thread.
It was quite good actually.

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, feel free to link - I just discourage links to sites which block us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 pm 
Ok Gordon, thanks.
(Are there sites that really blocks cameralabs?)

This is the tutorial i was thinking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1g0Zhaitg

Now... this tutorial is produced by a company, and they have a serie of tutorials with this guy. They are really good, and i get the feeling that he knows what he's talking about.

Click this link and you get the serie:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ertvillage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 am 
Hi all,

I love the way his face is lit up.. but the thing is that I couldn't put him further the background and I didn't have a third light to position it behind him so I would no longer have the shadows in the back. So it came out like that :). He was very pleased with the picture :).

Thanks for the tutorials, they are pretty good. I've seen some portrait lighting tutorial on YouTube, but no these ones.

Thanks for the replies,
Vlad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:02 pm 
Khol wrote:
Hi, nice shot.

I've seen a videotutorial (actually a serie of videos) on youtube about model photography. And that guy mentioned something about trying to make a "triangle shadow" on one side of the face so it doesnt become "flat" due to the massive amout of light from a flash.

With gordons approval i can link the tutorial in this thread.
It was quite good actually.

/K

i saw that tooo, and about getting a nice background and whot not

Coming to the photo, its quite nice but as the guys have mentioned the problem is the shadow in the back, i was shooting a portrait photo of one of my co-workers yesterday and i had to turn all the lights in our store on her, placed a bunch of white plastic for reflection on the floor so it would refelect upwards. But i did end up with the shadow in the back because she was too close to the background, quite the bummer