Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Choosing a camera
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 pm 
Hi all I am in need of advice as to which camera I should buy obviously they need to be within my price range....lol I am currently using a Kodak z650 but want to move onto something that is more challenging and does better quality of photographs and is more versatile. I have narrowed my choices down to these two cameras Panasonic DMC FZ50 & Pentax K100D
but I am having great difficulty in deciding which camera is best overall. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Phil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:03 pm 

Hi Phil,

sorry, but you have to make some decisions first:
- the K100D is a DSLR with interchangeable lenses
- the Pana FZ50 is a compact all in one, where you don't have a chance to change the optics!
So your first and foremost question should be: Is the zoom-lens and the sensor of the Pana good enough for me?
Well, it covers a range from 35-420mm, and even has some macro capabilities (see http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... ge4e.shtml). But you never can go wider than 35mm and you never get to 1:1 makro abilities! plus the sensor of the FZ50 is much smaller than from the/any DSLR so you likely gonna suffer from noise under less than well lit conditions!

On the other hand the FZ50 has image stabilization, which can save you quite a pic.

So if your into perfect holiday pics, you're better off with the Pana, and if you're more into serious picture composing and not so bog-standard shots, get a/the DSLR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I'd add to what Thomas has said by saying the other big difference between a DSLR and a super-zoom is the performance at high sensitivities. DSLRs can deliver low noise pictures even at high ISOs, whereas non-DSLRs cannot.

Here's an example of this in practice from the Canon G7 and the Canon 400D (DSLR). And remember the G7 is arguably better than the FZ50 at higher ISOs...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/CanonG7/page4ca.shtml

So if you are into shooting in low light, a DSLR should be higher on your list.

Gordon