Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:38 pm 
I realize you have basically discussed this before, but I am still totally unable to decide upon one of the 3 cameras. This will be my first venture into the DSLR world, and I feel I have read so many reviews I am beginning to see double. I have always been a Sony camera gal, and so I find a level of comfort there, but am perfectly willing to stray from the familiar and try my hand at something new. Here are my proposed choices:
I would buy the Sony with the lens kit, intending to purchase other lenses as I see fit over time. I would buy the Canon body with the EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens as a general all purpose first lens, though eventually I plan on selecting macro lenses for either choice of camera, not to mention some finer zoom lenses. For the D80, I would purchase the body and the 18-200DX VR lens as a starter lens. I should also say that I do have small hands and am not a particularly large person in general, so while I like to imagine a hefty weight around my neck would be of no consequence, I inwardly fear I might suffer from neck strain should I be toting the D80 and large lens around through some thick, hilly woods or some bumpy lava field.
So are there really huge advantages with one or the other? I can't seem to find one (or two) isolated thing that jumps out and grabs my attention and says, hey, you have no alternative but to buy this particular camera.
Perhaps you could help me finalize my decision. I feel so fickle, just when I think I've chosen one, I second guess and question whether maybe the other choice would be better for me. This goes on and on, and I am ready to settle down with one great camera.. What an exhausting process!
Thanks for the great forums, they are great fun to read and quite helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Hi Avesong, I've replied to this in the Nikon forum.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:25 pm 
Well, this is sth I am thinking about these days. Read the reviews, thought to take Sony A100 but I am concerned mainly about iso performance. At the moment I have Fuji S9500 and it is ok and nice camera but with big limitations, iso100 is comparable with iso400 at dslr cameras, has strange JPEG processing (noise reduction), dynamic range is poor, RAW is better but it is painfully slow (need to wait 6-7sec for the next photo)…
When 400D was announced I thought that Canon will have a winner, but unfortunately it is only slightly better than 350D and has the same faults, small viewfinder, light and small body, uncomfortable grip, no spot metering. 350D performance is very nice and I would consider of buying one much more than 400D so I have this option in my mind, too.
I am also concerned about lenses, what will I be able to upgrade. Sony has ok kit lenses compared to competition so it is one other advantage. What do you think about combination 18-70mm + 75-300mm or to go with some Sigma similar combination which would cost some more?
This site is very good and has very detailed reviews which are very helpful.

Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Di, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I notice you've not mentioned the Nikon D80 in there? If you're concerned by the performance of the Canon and Sony DSLRs and want a step-up from them, then the D80 is the way to go. The D40 is also pretty neat if you want an entry-level DSLR. Our review is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD40/

If you want the widest selection of lenses, you should be considering a Canon or Nikon body.

But if you stick with the A100, the twin lens option you mention with the 75-300mm is sensible. There's a review of the 75-300mm here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony75300mm/

If you're after a step-up from the Sony kit lens in quality though, it could still be worth waiting for the Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, although I've still not seen one...

If you can wait to see if the results are god, I'd also seriously consider the Olympus E-510 - see:

http://www.cameralabs.com/analysis/Olym ... ympusE510/

Oh dear, I appeared to have given you even more options to consider!

Have you been into a store and picked any of them up yet? This can decide it for you straightaway.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:08 am 

There is only one Nikon 18-200mm VR out there so buy a camera that can use this lens. I'm currently in New Zealand and the lens is amazing.
Although I have different lenses for special purposes (see my sig.) I would not want to miss the 18-200mm. That would be the killer argument for me!
It's better to cary around a camera plus lens that is a little bigger and has more weight than some other combinations, but that is easily outweighed, if you have to carry a second lens with you (and change it in that precious moment!), avesong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 am 

I think it really comes down to budget.
In my opinion the Sony A 100 with twin lens kit is one of the best value for money package there is on the market at present.