Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SensorKlear
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:29 am 

The SensorKlear is a sensor cleaning pen developed by Parkside Optical Inc, the same company that developed the LensPen.

Then pen is about the same size as a normal pen only built much cheaper, but that isn't really an issue. It has two ends, one with a retractable "natural hair" brush and the other with the cleaning tip and protective cap. The entire cleaning tip assembly is removable and re-fills can be purchase separately or as part of the "SensorKlear Pro" set.

This is the cleaning tip, the triangular shape allows it to reach into the corners of the sensor and the manufacturer claims that it is made of a special carbon compound and is non-drip. They also claim that it is good for 50 cleanings and that it is self-cleaning. It can be cleaned in between sensor cleanings by twisting the cap several times.

This is the opposite end, the brush. The brush is NOT meant for cleaning the sensor. It is meant to brush the area around the lens mount, the rear element of the lens and the focusing screen if necessary.

I took a shot of the wall at f/36, infinity focus and you can see the result below. Just picture that all over the sensor and you get a picture of what all my images >f/14 looked like. Terrible.

I used a blower and blasted about 20 puffs into the camera body and you can see the result below. No improvement whatsoever. In fact, my first attempt at using the blower a while back had doubled the amount of dust to what you can see now. So the blower hasn't really helped much.

The instructions on the back of the packaging suggest blowing first but as you can see above, it made no difference so on to the next step, the SensorKlear itself!

As you can see above, the results look fantastic but further examination proved otherwise.

The pen had cleaned the centre of the sensor but pushed most of it to the side. This is a fault on my part, the instructions did say to pay special attention to the sides and obviously what I did wasn't enough so I did it a second time, twisting the cap a few times first.

No need for a 100% crop to show you how BAD that is! The pen seems to have left a bit of its cleaning tip on the sensor! I used gave the sensor a few puffs with the blower and you can see the result below.

One or two dust spots but certainly an improvement over what I had before.

I am very pleased with this product. At only RM39.50(USD12) it costs a lot less than using E2 and PecPads. Additionally, because it contains no methanol unlike many sensor cleaners, it can be brought safely on a plane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

Not bad for only 12(usd) looks like it did help some.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Graham, thanks for that report - very interesting images and it illustrates what can happen wehn you physically make contact with the sensor filter.

I'm evaluating an arctic butterfly at the moment along with the company's wet wipes and found the latter can also push dirt to the edge of the frame if you're not careful. It's clearly something to watch out for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 am 

Hi Gordon,

How does the Arctic Butterfly perform? Is it able to do as good a job as a wet cleaning?