Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 am 

I am new to dslr photography and planning on buying my first one. I have zeroed in on Nikon D3200, D3300 and Canon EOS 1200D/Rebel t5.
Problem is ,which one should I buy?
Canon is offering two lenses (EF S18-55 IS II + 55-250 mm IS II) whereas nikon gives only the 18-55 mm kit option at the same price in my country.
I am mainly interested in still photography while a little video capability won't hurt.
Also the price difference between D3200 and 1200D is small. Which one should I buy ? I am confused. Please advise, Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:22 pm 

If anybody gives you a 'definitive' answer, they could be doing you a disservice.

Is it practical for you to visit a photography/CE/department store in your country to handle and test out these cameras? Those three bodies are very similar in terms of what they can do but you may find that you prefer the ergonomics and/or the menu of one over the others - that was the case for me deciding between the Canon EOS 550D and the Nikon D5000 a few years ago.

The 55-250mm bundle for Canon sounds tempting but do you think that from the beginning, you'll be shooting subjects from such a distance, you'd need that focal length to fill enough of the frame?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 pm 

Thanks for good advice sir , l shall definitely go and try these models. Though,I have tried the predecessors i.e. d3100 and eos 1100d. The canon was marginally ahead in comfort but felt a bit cheaper whereas the nikon had slightly better build. But all that may have changed with these new models. The canon dual lens kit feels like a good bargain in the beginning. I can always upgrade later when I outgrow the 1200d body. The dual lenses will allow me to experiance a wider range of subjects and the money saved can be utilized to buy a faster prime lens. What is your opinion? Kindly tell. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:52 pm 

It's not bad logic at all with the lenses.

In my view, the 1200D's build quality is better than its predecessor though I can't comment on how it compares to any of Nikon's entry-level models.

When you said you felt the comfort of the camera, were you referring to the physical comfort in terms of the grip and button/switch layout or were you also referring to going through the menu system? If you weren't referring to the menu system, it's worth having a go with both as I feel they differ enough to influence some people's decisions.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6