Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interlace artifact?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm 

In the photo gallery for the ZS40, in one BW image there is a bird that appears to be suffering from severe interlace artifacts--but this is from a still shot. Any explanation as to how this could happen? It's like a terminal case of giant jaggies. Image number is: 12322392155_4b0c05ff7b_o

I am about to buy the ZS40 but this image has me concerned. Also in many of the images on display at dpreview, magnification reveals small but very obvious jaggies on most edges. This has never happened with my FZ150 nor the LF1. Is there some defect in the JPEG processing in the ZS40?

I would attach/insert an image but can't see any way to do that with an image that is not associated with a URL. Pity.

Post subject: Re: Interlace artifact?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:36 am 

The aspect ratio (and "unknown" shooting mode in the EXIF) imply a panorama, and if so, that would also explain the "jaggies". So unless you plan to shoot panoramas of birds in flight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mark

P.S. While Gordon has disabled sharing for the specific/individual photo/file, you can still link to the image's main page.

Post subject: Re: Interlace artifact?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:48 am 

Thanks! I have ordered the camera. (And while I was dithering, the price was reduced by $50!) :D