Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 pm 

Hi

I've got the original 14-140 with my GH3. This is absolutely fantastic for video but I don't like the results I get for photographs due to a lack of dynamic range. You can see this in Photoshop with the histogram bunched up in the middle with no shadow or highlight. I was thinking I was doing something wrong and considering changing camera to the GH4 until I saw the Camera Labs review pictures on the new 14-140 on the GH4 exhibiting exactly the same problem!

This is very noticeable on these images plus the background in the first image appears to have a large amount of what looks like heat haze, which can't be right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/14005019863
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/14005019863

Is this unique to the 14-140 series? All my attempts to fix this in photoshop have resulted in hours of experimentation just to get an "ok" picture.

If anyone has any constructive ideas on how this can be fixed I would gratefully appreciate it.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:32 am 

Quote:
I've got the original 14-140 with my GH3. This is absolutely fantastic for video but I don't like the results I get for photographs due to a lack of dynamic range. You can see this in Photoshop with the histogram bunched up in the middle with no shadow or highlight.

I'm not following how you're determining that this is a problem with the lens, much less all 14-140mm lenses. (I own two original 14-140mm lenses, BTW.) The histogram being bunched in the middle just means that the light level is bunched in the middle. e.g. in the photos you linked to, there aren't a lot of shadows, so that's what I'd expect the histogram to look like. Have you tried, for example, shooting indoors (without additional lights/flashes) during the day with a window in the background?

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm 

Hi Maesto

Thanks for the posting. Using this lens alone produces dramatic falloff in both the the highlights and the shadows, both indoors and outdoors and the histogram used is only a middle third. As stated I have to work much harder with images produced using this lens as the images fall apart very easily in to produce images that are just ok. I never had this problem on my Nikon D70s.

I am of the opinion that the lens is optimised for video which I think is fantastic, but not for photography. I briefly borrowed a 12-32 and a 45-150 and I got better results with more dynamic range and a full histogram that barely need retouching in photoshop.

I was wondering if I had a bad copy as I've seen some stunning examples on flickr taken with both 14-140's but as you seem to think this is normal I'll sell the lens and get a 12-32 and a 45-150.

Thanks

David

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:47 am 

Quote:
Using this lens alone produces dramatic falloff in both the the highlights and the shadows, both indoors and outdoors and the histogram used is only a middle third.

I haven't noticed any difference between either of my 14-140mm lenses and my other lenses. But you got me curious, so I just put together a quick and dirty comparison between one of my 14-140s and my 75mm (which is generally considered to be one of the best m4/3 lenses currently available). I deliberately chose a very non-contrasty scene similar to the one in the pics you linked to, and yes, this does result in the histogram being bunched in the middle. But note that this is for both lenses. There is very little difference between the histogram for the 14-140mm and the 75mm. (And what little difference there is is most likely due to the slightly different framing -- I did say this was "quick and dirty".)

Are you sure you used the same settings when you tested? If so, you may have a bad copy.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 am 

I use the original 14-140 with my GH1 and GH2 -- and upgraded to the 14-140 II last summer. Use with my GH3 (now departed) and my Gh4 (for about one day) has all be satisfying: I really like this lens!

It must be good. I have the 12-35 & 35-100 f/2.8 zoom lenses but the 14-140 II seems to be on my GH3/4 about 90% of the time.