Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 pm 

Hi all,

first of all, thanks to Gordon for the great site & helpful reviews! Coming from a superzoom camera and beginning to notice the limitations (with regard to image quality, especially in low light), I am currently thinking about switching to a Micro Four Thirds camera.

I was (almost) decided on the EM5, until I came across the G6 thread in the forum (http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32724), where Gordon notes: "I prefer almost every aspect of the G6 over the OMD EM5 apart from the weather-sealing and built-in IS on the Olympus." - That has made me look at the G6, and now I am quite unsure. From the reviews, I had the impression that the EM5 had a few interesting advantages:

EM5

+ weather-proof
+ in-body stabilization
+ continuous shooting up to 9fps (vs. 7fps for G6)
+ better image quality? (based purely on the numerical scores in the two reviews)

The list I can up with for the G6 is shorter, but it does include an appealingly low price tag:

G6

+ fully articulated screen
+ costs approx. a third less (body starts at ~430 Euro, compared to ~680 for EM5)

So now I am wondering if there are arguments for the one or the other option which I have missed.

The primary use case is to take it hiking & bird watching, so I prefer the camera to be small & light. Based on the numbers in the reviews, the two options seem to be very similar. For the G6: "122x85x71mm and weighs 390g"; for the EM5: "121x90x41.9mm and weighs 425g"; with the biggest difference apparently stemming from the EM5's lack of a grip bulge.

Another interesting point is the autofocus: Since you often just have a couple of seconds to react to bird sightings, a quick + reliable autofocus is very important. Could someone comment on how the two compare in this regard?

Also, given that all lenses I have on my current wishlist are Panasonic lenses, I am wondering whether the EM5's in-body stabilisation is actually a neglectable factor?

(Finally, one aspect I have completely neglected is movie capabilities, which I don't need.)

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions!

Regards
Hans

Last edited by hans_b on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:20 am 

Quote:
Also, given that all lenses I have on my current wishlist are Panasonic lenses, I am wondering whether the EM5's in-body stabilisation is actually a neglectable factor?

Assuming all of the lenses you're considering are, in fact, stabilized (Mega/Power-OIS) (which not all Pany lenses are) -- or you'll be using a fast enough shutter speed so that stabilization won't matter -- then yes.

Also, unless the Pany lenses you're considering are weather sealed -- which, off the top of my head, I think only the 12-35mm and 35-100mm are -- then the E-M5's weather sealing isn't as big an advantage.

Lastly, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in AF speed between my Oly E-PL5 and Pany GH2 (which have the same sensor as the E-M5 and G6, respectively). Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't any difference between the E-M5 and G6, but it's the best I can do.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 am 

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer, and especially for making me take another look at the range of lenses; I had indeed primarily focussed on three Panasonic zoom lenses (12-35mm f/2.8, 35-100mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6), which all have some IS. But beyond that, especially most faster prime lenses seem to nothing of the kind. On the other hand, as you point out, most of them don't seem to be weatherproof either, so while the one EM5 advantage (IS) seems more important, the other one (weatherproof) seems a little less useful.

And apart from that, I had forgotten one interesting feature of the G6:

G6
+ remote-controllable via the "Lumix Image app"

All this boils down to one agonizing decision. I guess I'll have to sleep over it (again).

Regards
Hans

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 am 

Quote:
...which all have some IS. But beyond that, especially most faster prime lenses seem to nothing of the kind.

Personally, I don't find I miss stabilization when I'm using my fast primes because the point for me of using a larger aperture is to be able to use a faster shutter speed. e.g.
ImageWaterdrop by candlelight by Mark@Nite was shot with my Voigtlander f0.95 wide open so I could use a 1/200 shutter to catch the waterdrop as it fell.

YMMV - Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:22 pm 

You could consider the E-M10 as well. It has a remote control app as well and is cheaper then the E-M5.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am 

I have had both the G6 and E-M5. I sold the G6 because it is very easy to accidentaly re-set the white balance with your thumb. The 12-40 oly is superb