Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:29 pm 

I've recently upgraded from a D300 to a D610 so am new to FX. I've got Nikon 50mm 1.8 and Nikon 85mm 1.8 and also an older 70-300mm 4.0-5.6 which I've sort of given my daughter to accompany her new Nikon 5200. I'm planning to replace that for myself with the 70-200mm f4 which everyone seems to think is great. I don't really want to buy at 24-70 or similar at the moment (especially until they come up with VR on one) as I really like the 50 and 85 1.8 lenses. Therefore I'm looking at a wide angle as my next purchase. I live in Bangkok where a nice, wide lens could get me some great market, street, temple, building etc shots. The Nikon choices are the 14-24 f2.8 which is maybe a bit too extreme for me and I'm scared that I'll scratch the non-filtered lens; the lovely but older and very expensive 17-35 2.8 (anyone know what I might get a second hand one for?); and the most obvious choice the 16-35 f4. The problem is that Ken Rockwell loves it (but he seems to love almost everything) and What Digital Camera and Gary Wolstenholme at ephotozine think it's very good while Thomas here at Camera Labs and pretty much everyone else says its rubbish.

To buy one of these at 40,000baht (800quid) here is a lot of money. Am I likely to regret it? Will all my pictures be full of distortion? Or is this actually a really good lens for me. I'm no pro but am keen to develop and get some great shots here.

Any non-Nikon alternatives (would need to be good to lure me away from from Nikon though!!)

Cheers
Mick :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:06 am 

I have the 18-35 and it's stunning, so the 16-35 should be likewise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:10 pm 

Hello Mick, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
I've tested the lens last year against the new 18-35/3.5-4.5G on my D800 and unfortunately forgot to write-up the results :evil:
I'm currently working on it. Expect my review to be published in the next 2 weeks.

But you can find a summary of my findings in my verdict for the 18-35 lens here.
In short (quoting myself): "So if you don't need the aid of image stabilization which gives you a 2 stop advantage there's not much to recommend the 16-35/4.0 G VR over the 18-35/3.5-4.5G."
But if you have a little patience, you can read my full review of this lens soon...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:42 pm 

Well, it took a littel longer than i hoped for, but here is my complete write-up and review for this lens:
http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_Nik ... f4G_ED_VR/

Enjoy!