Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 am 

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a varible ND filter for my 7D EFS 17-55mm lens. Wanting to shoot video on the high end towards the f/2.8 range of this lens. Currently, my sweet spot without a ND is anywhere from f/14 to f/18 bright/cloudy outdoors. I normally shoot at 1920x1080 at 24fps with my shutter speed at 1/50. As you know, the higher the aperture the brighter things get. At f/2.8 I'm totally washed out. I have a B+W UV XS-Pro filter that currently lives on the lens. https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommer ... 4&IID=8160

I see Light Craft Workshop has come out with a Rapid Variable ND lately that looks interesting.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

If you have any suggestions that would give me great results, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Ray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 am 

If you're on a budget, you might also have a look at Tiffen's Vari-ND. But if you can afford it, I would strongly recommend either Heliopan or Singh-Ray instead.

Also, this question might be more appropriate in the "Bags, cases, straps and filters" sub-section - Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 pm 

Hi, Thanks for the reply...... I definitely want a filter that will due my lens justice. I realize you normally get what you pay for, but I don't want to break the bank either. As for the other thread, I didn't see that. I'll post under that heading. I'll definately take a look at the one's you mentioned. Thanks for all your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

Moderators: I reposted my thread under "Bags, cases, straps and filters" sub-section. Thanks, Ray

Reply: No problem. I deleted it because we don't allow duplicate threads and this was the only thread that had replies. I'll now move this thread to the correct section but also leave a shadow behind in the Canon section so everyone can find the thread. Good luck with your search. Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 pm 

Any other suggestions for the Canon EFS 17-55mm lens? Thank, Ray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm 

Hi, The biggest reason I'm thinking of a VND is due to keeping video very close to the same brightness level in different shooting instances. As for portraits, landscapes, etc. I believe that a variety of fixed ND's would be fine, I could always fine tune lighting in Lightroom due to shooting in raw. I'd like to add, I use Sony Vegas Pro for all my video editing.
A couple questions do come to mind;
1) Would stacking 77mm ND's introduce vignetting?
2) Are there thin enough ND's that could be stacked without vignetting?
3) Would you suggest stepping up to a fixed 82mm ND using a 77-82mm step-up ring? I believe that this should allow stacking without the issue of vignetting. The downside would be losing the ability to use my hood.
4) As for fixed ND's, which ones in your opinion are the cleanest/sharpest?
Lots of questions I know and I thank you for your help and input. I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

Hello...... Anyone out there?? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:35 am 

Ray & Paula wrote:
Would stacking 77mm ND's introduce vignetting?

Eventually, yes. It obviously depends on how many you stack. If you'd care to guesstimate, I'll try and take a pic with my 17-55mm with that number of 77mm filters mounted and post it here.

Mark