Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for my Panasonic GX7 review!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm 

This camera seems to be causing quite a stir. It's OMD money though, and I can't see any benefits it has over that Olympus camera. The Olympus (almost certainly) has superior IBIS, and it's weatherproof.

Olympus cameras also tend to have the rather less tangible quality of being excellent photographer tools, whereas Panasonic cameras are more like appliances.

The OMD EM-5's price hasn't really dropped though and it's been out for quite some time. Panasonic cameras tend to end up heavily discounted sooner though, so the GX7 may grow in appeal.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:59 pm 

Initial IBIS report is not very good. *sigh*

On paper, it looked more promising than Olympus p5, but we'll have to see its review of finished product. Maybe in a year, it will drop to current GX1 price range...

Panasonic Pancake 14mm f2.5, Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 75mm f1.8
Panasonic 14-42mm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:38 am 

GX7 - live view with android / ios image app?

I plan on using the camera to film from overhead. Can you test if the Panasonic image app in android or ios allows to see the content while filming with the GX7? Cant see the screen while filming this way.
I have a FZ150 now where one can twist the screen down.

This way I could run it on a tablet in front of me and make sure I am not out of the visible field when filming.
I know that there is no live hdmi video out, but maybe it works with the app?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:50 pm 

My question was answered in another forum:

Yes. I just tested this for you on my GX7. Using the remote control portion of the app, you can tell the camera to shoot either stills or video. While recording video, it shows you a real-time (ignoring wi-fi lag, of course) view of what is being recorded.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 am 

Hi,

I am thorn between the Panasonic Lumix GX7 and OMD EM-5 and OMD EM-1. I'm more inclined towards Panasonic Lumix GX7 mainly due to the price and features. I'm still not too sure about the image quality after reading Gordon Laing's review and a few others. It seems like a clear winner for OMD EM-1, but for its price and lack of a flash, I'm not sure if it's the right camera for me.

The reason why I want to go mirrorless is for the size, weigh and portability, and having the ability to take quality images. Not having a flash means I need to carry more gear that defeats these objectives.

I would like to hear in your opinion, which camera you would go for; with my needs and photography style. I mainly do street and travel photography.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:08 pm 

I got the opportunity to purchase a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 with 14mm pancake lens for 320$ or with 14-42mm lens for 300$ (both like new and yeah, I know, sick! XD) or a new Canon PowerShot S100 for 360$. What do you suggest people? Thanks in advance.

It is just a matter of choosing one of the three. I want to take best pictures possible (point for GF3) as sometimes I need semi-professional photography (as it could get great use for some marketing services I offer). I also need/want best portability/perfomance ratio possible :wink: (point for the S100) . I wouldn't mind sacrificing some portability, I wear suits most of time. But, yes, 14-42mm lens would be probably too much to handle.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 am 

You might get a better response if you posted this question in the Buying a new camera but undecided on brand? section since this thread is for the GX7, but the GX7 is not one of the cameras you're considering, but you are considering cameras from two different brands.

It would also help if you told us what you plan to take pictures of because "marketing" could be anything from real estate to jewelry, each of which is better suited to different cameras.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:17 am 

I went over the review of GX7 and it seems that the camera has almost everything I would need. It has good photo quality as well as wi-fi and also the availability of lenses. Also my experience of using panasonic has been quite good (I own FZ35). However I see in the review that Gordon has given 16 on 20 for value. What should be the right price to buy this camera? I think it is available for 900 usd right now.

Thanks for in advance for the tip!