Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 am 

This is the thread for any comments or questions concerning February's Competition. Also, if you have any ideas for renewing the Assignment and drawing in more entries, let us know. For example, how do you feel about the assignment being run on a social media site?

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 am 

My impression is most CL members are in the northern hemisphere, with the current weather conditions of late up north I don’t think it’s conducive to getting out with the camera.

I think the six month time limit for assignments helped with more entries. My January entry was taken with the assignment in mind and I would not have entered that shot except I did to make up the numbers.

Some members may not like the theme for a particular month and not enter, that will always happen. If that happens to me my reaction is "Suck it up" and have a go.

Unfortunately I do not have any brilliant ideas to improve the assignments but I have no doubt there are many on the forum could forward great ideas.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm 

Hello Bjorn

I'm wondering whether it's the specific assignments that limit entry numbers. People who are not "into" the subject might be holding back, although I guess the aim was to encourage folk to have a go at as wide a range of subjects as possible.

Perhaps we/you should consider just a simple "best pic" competition each month, or every week, or even both. Then folk can submit any entry they have that they believe merits it. Hopefully more would join in the judging/voting too.

It would be good to see more actual photographs on the site. Most of us have been a bit lax lately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:20 pm 

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I'm sorry for the delayed reply, I just started my first "real" job after university, have to get used to the longer days. :wink:

The weather is indeed terrible at the moment, which is why I'd expect the 6 month time limit to help a lot. It doesn't seem to make a big enough difference though, nor do the more accessible themes. We've been trying to come up with themes that can accommodate any stream of photography (candid portrait being an exception perhaps), and from the entries we get it's clear that people can indeed use these themes to inspire many types of photographs.
I would love to keep the assignment running as I think it's a fun way to share images with one another. I'd like to see more than 3 entries per month though, haha.

Warth man, I like your suggestion of posting a best picture of the month/week, thank you! A monthly "assignment" would have my preference, and it would probably draw more entries than a weekly assignment, plus it requires a bit less administration (although I gladly do that for all you CL members). I'll think over some of the implications (thread couldn't be closed on the 31st, etc.) and discuss your idea with the other mods.

I'll also admit that due to the weather and a busy schedule I haven't had a chance to take many photos lately, let alone post many here. I'll try to fire up my photography on the weekends again, I kind of miss it.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:51 pm 

It's a shame the assignment is stagnating as it should ideally be the flagship of any photography forum.

I think almost all of us use photography as a creative outlet, a hobby, and perhaps a passion. Unfortunately, as with all forums I can think of, the focus of discussion centres around the gear rather than making photos.

I entered lots of assignments before I received a vote from another member, and as with any subjective artistic endeavor, we often seek validation from (relative) strangers (relatives don't count).

I always want to improve my photos, but this thread only attracted 1 other photo from Dubai Phil:
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32337
Perhaps a broader image critique thread (streetcandids are not everyone's cup of tea) could work.

Here are some suggestions for improving motivation to participate in the assignment and hopefully boosting entries:
1- Showcase the previous month's winning photo on the cameralabs.com home page. This could include a link to the member's blog/flickr
2- Add an icon or info denoting the number of assignments a member has won below their avatar. This can include a link to that photo on the member's blog/flickr
3- Add a link to this month's assignment directly on the cameralabs.com homepage
4- There are 4 mods and an admin, so each month should receive at least 5 entries :wink:

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 pm 

Hi Everybody,

I'd really hate to see this forum go for many reasons. And then, of course, I am guilty as
hell as I haven't posted in ages (except this month).
Now that very fact made one possible reason for the lack of popularity occur to me:
It is not very easy to actually submit a post. Only those of us who are more than 400
years old (like myself) have that warm feeling of past programming memories when they
have to type html code -- for the others it seems just a tad antique.
Now of course it's always easier to suggest than to chip in and do (sorry), but if you sneak
a look at dpreview you can see how this can be made really easy.
My scripting skills are truly rotten these days or I'd offer to do some coding.

Oh, and I quite agree with the others: To extend to a six-month period made it much more attractive.
Another suggestion I liked: Make it more visible -- a 300x200 (or so) thumbnail on the homepage
as a link to the forum and a few words (name of winner and camera lens-combo).
Cheers,
Matthias

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:16 pm 

Congratulations Matthiasmesser, on your win. Just about a clean sweep that month. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:54 pm 

Congratulations Matthiasmesser, it looked like a winner from the start.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 am 

I agree with these comments. Excellent result and further incentive to give star trail photography a try.