Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:18 pm 

Just wrote a goodly post, and lost the text after it timed out. Very frustrateed. Sorry, can't be bothered to recompose it.

And can't even search the forum to see if the topic already exists, it ignores focus because it is too common, so all I get is posts about camera manuals. I tried searching "manual focus" but the search doesn't seem to be able to accept phrases in double quotes as single search tokens.

So I would like to see a list of cameras that are capable of everyday manual focus use.

Both manufacturers websites and reviews are very sketchy in this regard and do not support identifying suitable models.

Does Camera Labs maintain such a list ? or can it in the future ? Or can any forum members help suggest.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:45 pm 

My own personal opinion and recommendation is based on the feel and feedback when manually focusing...

I prefer to manual focus with older gear-driven lenses, rather than the newer fly-by-wire lenses. There's a feeling of disconnect for me with modern lenses that have in-body motors and freewheeling focus rings that have no hard infinity or close stops, and that don't offer more resistance when turning the focus ring. So for that reason, my recommendation for someone keen to manually focus all the time would be to consider a mirrorless camera that can mount any manual lens mount via spacer rings...preferably a mirrorless camera with a high-quality electronic viewfinder and focus peaking, which offer a good, reliable way to quickly manually focus on subjects.

I have manually focused on my DSLR only when using older body-driven focus lenses that have better physical feedback, but find that it's not quite as nice with the DSLR and optical finder for me because I don't have a split-prism focus screen that would be more helpful. So most of my manual focus work is done with my NEX-5N, via various manual mount adapters, and an attached EVF using focus peaking. I use Konica K/AR lenses, Pentax K mount lenses, and Leica M mount lenses all via simple spacer adapters. I like that I can use the camera in three different modes - M, A, and S priority, as well as even using the scene modes and special function modes like HDR and multi-frame stacking and panorama. The NEX meters through the lens, so you can shoot Manual mode, choosing the shutter speed and ISO in camera and aperture on the lens...you can shoot in Aperture Priority, setting aperture on the lens and letting the camera choose shutter and/or ISO...or you can shoot S priority, setting the aperture on the lens, shutter in the camera, and letting the camera choose ISO.

The focus peaking makes manual focus fast and easy...plus you still have the option to magnify the view on the EVF to help fine-tune the focus in critical situations.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg