Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:00 am 

Decision, decision......... I need some help.

After my trusty D300 went to a very watery grave on a recent dive I plan to upgrade to a FF model chssong one of the above cameras. Initially I was set on the D800. Having however read quite some posts about "left side autofocus issue" (on dpreview) I dropped the choice and now consider the other 2 options. My plan is to buy initially:

-the body
-16-35/2.8
-24-70/2.8

I do believe that all of them have the lenses. I held the body of all cameras in my hand but couldn't use them as the shop had no demo models. Based on above system how would you chose? My own observations:

1) Nikon seems to have an issue with 2 more recent models (D600 and D800)

2) Sony set-up is cheaper then Canon. Is the additional Canon price justified? ( I shoot landscape, people, architecture mostly during daytime)

Thanks for all the helps and thoughts.
Miki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:12 am 

Hi Miki,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

Having made the reverse transition (from a 5D Mark II to m4/3rds) I don't have any answers but I'll ask if you've already considered and rejected the Sony A7? Same pixel count as the A99, can take A-mount lenses with an adaptor and offers more flexibility in terms of reduced size and weight on those days when you don't want to lug the heavy glass around.

My own journey was prompted by the realisation that I rarely needed shallow depth of field and portability was a more valuable feature. I can still get shallow DoF if I want it (check out Gordon's Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 review for example) but I never need the razor thin and almost unmanageable DoF I could achieve with an EF 85mm f1.2 L USM II in front of my old 5D2.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am 

Hi Miki & welcome.

Changing systems can take some getting used to. menus/ergonomics etc.

re "left side autofocus issue" with D800, tbh I think the few issues that were reported tended to be when it was first released & haven't heard of many problems since.

Re issues with the D600 (oil-spatter etc) I think they released the D610 as a fix.

Most cameras have `bugs` if you search the 'net. Most seem to be fixed with firmware updates.

Do you have a few Nikon lenses/accessories already?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 am 

Hi Bob and OldCarlos,

First, thanks a lot for your valuable input. It is much appreciated. And thanks for thr warm welcome.

Hi Bob,

A valid point. The weight I mean. I always used heavy glass and I do know it is a drag. I have not thought "going back" but I am having second thoughts. I will look into the A7. I trust you are perfectly happy?

Hi oldCarlos,

Point with the menus/ergonomics well taken.

My D300 and my 12-24/2.8 didn't survive my last dive. I still have a 17-55/2.8 and a 60/2.8 Nikkor lens. The reason why I dropped the D800 is the AF issue. If you look into dpreview for the last couple of days you will still find quite some comments. It also seems that the Firmware update didn't fix the issue. I used Nikon all my life (first file and now digital). But I would not pay such an amount for the set-up I have in mind if I have issues. Looking at my lenses I still have; what would you do?