Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: newbie--help!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:03 pm 

I'm a newbie. I just signed up for class on cameras, lighting, etc. and am planning on buying my first camera. I mainly want it to shoot indie movies and some stop motion animation (so some stills). The only other use for stills would be to incorporate in short indie films. I thought I'd first take the class (which is hands on) and do a bunch of research/homework before I made my first purchase to get my feet wet.

I've heard great things about the Canon EOS 70D but also saw the new Sony FDR AX100 which is a camcorder that can shoot 4K (it's coming out in a few months.)

My budget (including tax and any additional lenses) is about $2500. I'd rather spend less but will go up to $2500 if it's a better buying choice.

Which would be a better choice for my needs? And which lens should I get?

Any and all advice (and any tips) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: newbie--help!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:51 am 

Short answer: you'll probably be best served by a (standard/regular) HD camcorder.

Longer answer: your choice of words -- "And which lens should I get?" -- is a red flag, especially with regard to the 70D, because the whole point of an interchangeable lens system is that you can use multiple lenses. Also, there's no reason for a "newbie" (not meant to be disparaging, just using your own term) to shoot 4k, especially once you consider your delivery/display method, and a whole slew of reasons (for even seasoned pros) not to (one of the most obvious being post production cost).

Really, super, hyper, mega long answer: you can read the Panasonic G6 thread from this post to the end (and maybe also the "Formulating DSLR gear..." thread which is linked to in the G6 thread.)

Mark

Last edited by Maestro on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:00 am 

Thanks. I do understand that on the 70D, you can use a variety of lenses. If I do end up going for a 70D (which is probable) which, say, two lens would be good to start with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 am 

I'm loath to use this cookie cutter answer but it really does depend, e.g. on how close or far you are from the subject as well as how shallow a depth of field you need. With that said you're best off looking at something without the older DC motor as they're quite noisy (which you will hear with the internal microphone and probably with an external microphone in close proximity to the camera) and slower in terms of autofocus.

My Canon 15-85mm EF-S lens does a very good job for me as it's a great balance between price, zoom range and image quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm 

Thanks. I'm planning on not actually purchasing anything til after I take this course (& a 2nd one about lens selection so I can mess around with lens hands on before purchase.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:23 am 

Well, again, I think you'd be much better served by an HD camcorder. And keep in mind that I've been shooting video on interchangeable lens hybrid photo/video cameras since the GH1 came out in 2009, and I currently shoot on a 70D. So if anything, I should be biased toward the 70D, not against it.

That said, the 18-135mm STM "kit" is a decent all-around lens to start with. And for video on a crop sensor, I'd add a wide angle next.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 pm 

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Definitely will check it all out.