Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:14 am 

Hello, I am facing issues with this lens. It's slow in focusing kids and misses lot of shots(Out of Focus). Is there a setting I should be looking at? I always use one point focus. Is this issue resolved in OMD EM1 with 75mm 1.8 lens? Is there a firmware update for this issue for EM5?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

I've used this lens on the EM5 and the EM1 and due to the longer focal length and bright aperture it can sometimes hunt, and it also means the focusing has to be spot on. Are the kids moving? If so, you won't have much luck, as the continuous AF on the Olympus and Panasonic cameras isn't great. Your best bet is single AF with a fast shutter speed and ask them to stay still for a couple of seconds while you focus. It is an unforgiving lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:20 am 

Thanks for your response Gordon. Just wondering if you tested this lens on EM1 and is it faster and does not hunt?

I am just confused if I should sell EM5 and buy EM1?

I have Em5 with 12-50mm kit lens, Panasonic 25mm 1.4 and OLY 75mm 1.8.

I may have to sell my Panasonic 25mm 1.4 and kit let to get EM1 with 12-40mm 2.8 lens. Is it really worth that upgrade?

After the upgrade, I will have to live with 12-40mm and 75mm 1.8 lens only. I hope 12-40mm 2.8 does justice to low light photography?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:42 pm 

i felt the same way when I first got my O75mm, and I think that is because we are spoiled by lightening fast autofocus of P25mm and 12-50.

I would make sure to have all the reasons why you want to upgrade to EM1 from EM5 because IQ wise, there won't be too much difference.

Panasonic Pancake 14mm f2.5, Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 75mm f1.8
Panasonic 14-42mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm 

jazzybatra wrote:
I hope 12-40mm 2.8 does justice to low light photography?

How low is low in your case? I do a lot of low light photography at f/1.4, and find I often have to resort to ISO 2500 (the max on my Leica) to get a comfortable shutter speed. Depending on the kind of environments you'll shoot in, f/2.8 could be too small, forcing you to use higher sensitivities or adopt Cartier-Bresson's philosophy of "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept".

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux