Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread to discuss my Panasonic Lumix GM1 review!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 pm 

Hi there,

Very in depth review of GM1 and RX100 (II) comparison (which I have), but one question regarding image quality:
On your GM1 review, when you compare it with RX100 you say it's image quality is slightly better but in the overall score you give GM1 a 17 in regards to image quality and RX100 ii a 18... can you justify that?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, the scores aren't comparable unless the two cameras are in the same category and year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm 

I would like to move up in IQ and AF response from a really old Canon Elph with 1/2.3" sensor. The obvious progression would be to upgrade to an S110 or S120, however, I can't help but think the 4/3 sensor would be better than a 1/1.7".

For pocketability, I would say the GM1 has it, but the GX7 seems so close, and am wondering if the GM1 is "too small". If I compare the standard body/lens kit of each, how does this affect placing in the pocket of a pair of shorts, slacks, or jacket? What is the total weight and dimensions of each combination? I would like to have a viewfinder, though a lack of one isn't a showstopper, and it appears the GX7 EVF is serviceable. Ignoring price, what other factors should I consider when choosing between the GM1 and GX7?

I have not been able to hold either camera to decide for myself, so looking for some guidance.

Thank you,

Geordon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 am 

Quote:
For pocketability, I would say the GM1 has it, but the GX7 seems so close, and am wondering if the GM1 is "too small".

While this is subjective, the GX7 does not seem "so close" pocketability-wise to me at all. I actually own a Sony RX100 (which is roughly the size the of the GM1) and an Olympus E-PL5 (which is slightly smaller than the GX7) and would not consider them "so close" in size. Have you handled both cameras in person? This would also help you determine whether the GM1 is too small for you.

Quote:
If I compare the standard body/lens kit of each, how does this affect placing in the pocket of a pair of shorts, slacks, or jacket?

I can easily fit my RX100 (and therefore I would assume a GM1) into a pants pocket. I cannot do the same with my Oly E-PL5 with the lens attached (so I would assume the situation would be even worse with the GX7). The Oly E-PL5 could fit into a large windbreaker jacket pocket with the kit lens attached, but probably not a sportcoat/blazer-type jacket pocket. Personally, I prefer to detach the lens from the Oly and carry the lens and camera body in separate cargo pants pockets.

Quote:
What is the total weight and dimensions of each combination?

Gordon doesn't cover this in his review? Odd, he's usually very thorough...

OK, he does mention it in the GM1 review, but not the GX7 review. But you could easily look up the specs for the kit lens (or whatever lens you prefer) and sum them with the specs for the GX7 body which Gordon does list.

Or, again, if possible, handle both camera/lens kits at a local shop.

Quote:
Ignoring price, what other factors should I consider when choosing between the GM1 and GX7?

GX7 has stabilization and a tiltable LCD (and, as you mentioned, a viewfinder). Also, the kit lenses are different focal lengths. The GX7 might have slightly better image quality, but I think the aforementioned criteria are more significant.

HTH - Mark