Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 am 

I have been practicing some macro shots of flowers. I use the Tamron 90mm Macro lens.
There is snow on the ground, and I have the flowers in the window so that I can use the window light.
I am finding a haze on my pictures. Why is this? I have viewed the video that was posted regarding lens hoods. Will this help with this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am 

Any chance you could post an example of the haze you're getting? That might help us determine what is causing it.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 pm 

A lens hood would likely help... but as Bjorn suggested, a post of the photo would help us :-)

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 pm 

Flowers-3483.jpg by cj.2612, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:52 am 

I'm not exactly sure what the haze is you're referring to, but there are a few issues:

The background is completely overexposed. When you said you used the window light, it looks like the light is coming from behind the subject with the window in the background. This can reduce contrast and make colours muddy. It can also create chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) around the high contrast areas. In your picture, this would be the petal edges and the white background. This can produce "haze" but I don't see really see much of this in your picture.

Also, your depth of field isn't enough for the whole subject to be in focus. This may have been your intention, but perhaps the haze your seeing is out of focus areas?

The picture doesn't look particularly sharp. You shot this with a 10-second exposure, so a even a gentle draft or the natural twitching of the flower could have reduced sharpness.

Can you be more specific about the haze you're seeing? Where is it in the image?

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:20 am 

Pretty sure kimchi is on the money here:

"your depth of field isn't enough for the whole subject to be in focus"

Most of the petals on the bottom of the image are also in the foreground and outside the Depth of Field which (guesstimating your focus distance to be around 1 foot) is less than a quarter of an inch (or around half a centimeter).

Unless that's not where you're seeing "haze" - Mark

P.S. if that is the issue, you may want to do a bit of reading on "Focus Stacking".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 am 

im no macro expert.... nor a photography expert.... but from my observations is appears your issue is as others have mention above. however i believe your reference to 'haze' is that the whole flower is not in focus.

from personal experience i would take 3 or 4 shots and make small adjustments as you shot to get the desired image.

Nikkon D3200
Nikkon 35mm af-s 1.8G
Sigma 70-300mm DG
Nikkon 18-55mm 3.5-5.G

JPD3200