Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread to discuss the Sony Cyber-shot RX10, possibly the ultimate bridge camera and one that's very promising for video. For more details, please see my Sony RX10 preview which now includes sample images and movies from a final production model.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 am 

RE: thread The Sony RX10 Camera

Yes, there is more for the budget in the video shooter than really for the photographer in this camera, though this camera is really big. This lens better deliver the goods (resolution, aberration control, etc) for stills shooters to really merit the super price premium.

Basically I see a trade off, this Sony RX10 has a smaller sensor, but they compensate with a larger diameter lens, while Canon opted in their G1X for a larger sensor, but with a variable aperture lens, though it still maintains a F/2.8 at the wide end.

In the end, I kind of feel the Sony is a bit of one of those Hammacher Schlemmer technology-toys for the photo enthusiast, but a real tool for the videographer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:48 am 

I had some further thoughts after I posted the above... I think that Sony should have added phase detect on the sensor to seal the deal. After looking at the comparative price of the Sony RX10 vs. Nikon V2 + 10-100 mm, the Nikon comes in lower on both price, weight and size, while sacrificing F/stop, but with the option to change lenses.

I am actually more interested in these types of small integrated lens cameras than Sony's Full frame mirrorless offerings which seem to be trying to please two customer bases. It seems Panasonic with release of the interchangeable lens Panasonic GM1, Panasonic have shown how m43 can get even smaller, essentially into the territory of integrated lens cameras, like the Canon G1X, Sigma DP Merrills, Fuji X20/x100 and the Sony Cybershot RX-series. Here's hoping this segment continues to grow instead of always thinking we need full frame mirrorless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am 
Site Admin

I agree about PDAF - I think it could have made this camera absolutely amazing - and of course it would have meant the next RX100 would have had it too. But I still feel it has a very strong feature set, again especially for videographers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Having now used the RX10, I'm actually very impressed by the continuous AF tracking and focus pulling with the contrast-based AF system. Have a look at the sample movies on my preview to see what I mean...

I've also posted a gallery of sample images from a final production sample.

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:35 pm 

Found that there is a better more complete instruction manual online. Live chat sent me the link as follows:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag/DS ... index.html

Otherwise, if you don't ask, the English online version is just 40 pages, which is grossly inadequate for this feature-loaded camera.

--------------------------------------
Checked with Costco to see if they would sell the RX10. Answer is a firm NO.

Apparently, SONY has fixed price policy, even to not allowing the retailer's opportunity to offer it as a bundle with other equipment, to enhance the value. Not sure that demanding retailers to sell at a fixed price is legal in the USA. Thought that got struck down many years ago in our courts.

Regardless, folks, looks like the RX10 will remain selling at MSRP price (at least until SONY Japan realizes that consumers in the USA don't like to pay retail.) However, the good news is that this does open up possibilities of gray market purchases to save money. Let's see how the price cutters get around this.

------------------------------------------------

The RX 10 might not be the camera for many people, due to its construction. Personally, I live in Texas, so I probably cannot buy this camera. Plus, anybody in Southern states also should pay attention to the SONY cautions. People in the Midwest also will need to keep the RX10 out of their cars during summer months.

More on the climate conditions warnings from SONY for the RX10, quoted as follows from the SONY manual:

Do not use/store the product in the following places
· In an extremely hot, cold or humid place
In places such as in a car parked in the sun, the camera body may become deformed and this may cause a malfunction.
· Storing under direct sunlight or near a heater
The camera body may become discolored or deformed, and this may cause a malfunction.
· In a location subject to rocking vibration
· Near strong magnetic place
· In sandy or dusty places
Be careful not to let sand or dust get into the product. This may cause the product to malfunction, and in some cases this malfunction cannot be repaired.

On operating temperatures
Your product is designed for use under the temperatures between 0°C and 40 °C (32 °F and 104 °F). Shooting in extremely cold or hot places that exceed this range is not recommended.

On moisture condensation
· If the product is brought directly from a cold to a warm location, moisture may condense inside or outside the product. This moisture condensation may cause a malfunction of the product.
· If moisture condensation occurs, turn off the product and wait about an hour for the moisture to evaporate. Note that if you attempt to shoot with moisture remaining inside the lens, you will be unable to record clear images.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 am 

Those environmental cautions are pretty standard amongst different camera manufactures and models. As to the point of price embargo, this seems to be similar to the Apple Tax. Though the original RX100 had an MSRP of $648 you can now find it routinely $100 less + some freebies thrown in. Such is the policy of Sony, if we don't like it I guess we can send our letter campaign to the Sony spam folder.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 am 

capital wrote:
Those environmental cautions are pretty standard amongst different camera manufactures and models.

Yep, they are probably CYA statements, but none of my cameras have that disclaimer. Also in TX, summer heat is sustained above 100F for a couple months. (God bless the inventor of the air conditioners.)

Fearing that my $1298 RX10 camera could be "deformed" is a deal breaker. "Discolored" I can live with. But not distorted.

Additionally, I typically keep camera hidden in car beneath something between front and back seats, so it's not seen through the smoke tinted rear windows. I want it with me, but I do not carry it when I'm shopping or dining, for example. It's hotter than blazes in the closed car. Also, when in the boat, I keep the camera inside the foredeck hatch with aluminum lid. That's hot too. However, I would not think of keeping it exposed out on the deck in the sun and salt air.

Plus, if it did get distorted or malfunction, I'd have nothing to complain about to the manufacturer. Poof, there goes the warranty!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:42 pm 

Not much activity on this thread, but I figured I'd throw in a quick word...

I wasn't in the market for an RX10 as I have both a DSLR and a NEX-5N system that covers all my needs. However, my local Sony Store was one of 20 that was closing throughout the U.S. and I floated by this weekend just to see if they had any sales. Sure enough they were blowing out everything in boxes in the store for 50% off. They specifically noted that cameras and lenses under all the counters did not count for the sale - they did not have boxes of lenses and cameras on the floor...so mostly I was expecting to pick up LCD protectors, extra batteries, memory cards, cases, etc. And indeed, I picked up a bunch of that type of stuff - an LCD semi-hard lens protector, SDHC UHS 16GB memory card, FM50 battery, ECF-1 Fisheye adapter for NEX 16mm lens, RMD-DSLR2 remote commander - all 50% off.

But I kept bugging the guy if he had any cameras or lenses in boxes that might have been left in the store - under a counter, even by accident. He kept saying no, sorry - but then another sales person nearby overheard and mentioned 'what about that RX10 under the camera counter?'. Oh yeah, says he - not sure if that would apply in the sale - they weren't supposed to include cameras or lenses that were on display and all boxed lenses and cameras were distributed out to other stores - but technically, it WAS an item in a box, not on display...so technically, it would qualify for the 50% off.

Oh boy, says I - I really don't have any need for another camera - I've got 4 perfectly working ones already...two DSLRs and two NEX e-mounts. Even a TX1 in a box that doesn't get used anymore. But a $1,300 camera for 50% off, brand-new in the box? How on earth do I pass that up? $649.99 for an RX10, new in the box.

Turns out I couldn't. So I now own an RX10! Solid little beast. Nice feel in the hand. I need to invent some excuses to use it - which I really want to - seems like it will be fun. I may give it some second duty shooting, may lend it to family. That 200mm F2.8 lens could be lots of fun.

I took some sample shots with it when I got the charge up to 15%, but haven't really used it out in the real world - just in my back yard. It turns out I may not have it long as my stepfather who had been shooting with my NEX3 has been hankering for more focal length than the kit lens, and when I told him about the RX10 he lit up at the idea of a 24-200mm F2.8 lens and all-in-one body where he wouldn't have to change lenses - at that price, he's been asking to buy it off me and return my NEX3 to me. I'd still want to 'borrow' the RX10 if I sold it to him, as I'd really like to play with it and see how it does in the real world!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg