Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:47 pm 
Argh! I just got some great new photos taken, but I've already entered mine xD Ah well, Good job everyone! I especially like PhotoJ's entry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:55 pm 
Thanks joebaynham. I barely even remember taking that photo now; I entered it in so early. I'm not entirely happy with it myself, but I thought I could enter it in for fun.

Let me return a brief critique on your entry: I like how you've thought about your composition - the rule of thirds is pretty evident with the positioning of the clock tower. In fact there's absolutely nothing wrong with your composition and technique. The image looks pretty sharp. It's the weather I don't like; the clear blue sky adds nothing of interest. I prefer some clouds to fill the space, but that wasn't under your control! The icing is that you haven't post-processed the image and straightened it. Good effort, but it lacks that interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 am 

yay yay yay...goody for Hailstorm and for Guilluime...new new new blood...how are we ever gonna pick a winner? photoj good on ya, I am really thinking the late posters are up to something...hahahaha....
eL snuck in a good one...

love it.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:05 pm 

you know living halfwayaround the world from most of you, has it's perks..just got up, steamy cup of coffee, and need to get ready for work, but, I have to say, that time is running out...(theme for March?) and sure as shooting, (pun) tho bleary eyed, I know eggggggselence when I see it...and I am going back to look at the latest on Assignments right now..I know there are some new because we added a page!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:12 pm 

just rechecked them all...and all I can say is WOW. The talent in this room is incredible...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 pm 
I will be sitting this one out...... just watching & looking....... but there are some great images this momth..... just been tooooo busy along with rebuilding the hard drive on my iMac [Erase and install} after making a list saving lots to an exterinal, i still managed to forget a few things, but not important things ........

Last edited by Big Pix on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:40 pm 
Interesting entry, Ormina, for many reasons. Good shots - especially that of the pebbles, but you could have taken that from an even lower perspective (I'm quite fussy as most have gathered). The power station is also well composed, but I'd like to see a larger version of it to see what you've done with the foreground.

An aside - your entry is over the 500pixel limit.

What I'm going to ask the moderators is this: is it possible to enter a collage/multiple photos that have been post-processed into one as we see here? Does this count as one image, or three separate entities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 pm 
Oops posted the wrong copy. Re sized and re posted.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:43 pm 
Sorry ormina, don't want to sound pedantic but have to agree with Photoj I see three images and not one... but I do like what you have done and appreciate the time that you have spent doing so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:57 pm 

Personally I think it counts as one image. Would it make a difference if the images were blended rather than seperate as they are here? I don't think so. The only difference is that here it's more obvious.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:12 am 
I look at the entry in 2 ways....... one, as a single collage, where in the rules is this sort of presentation ruled out.......

and 2, as 3 separate shots as 3 different cameras were used......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:16 am 
I think you can only post one photo per assignment. Just pick the one you like the most and use that one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 am 
luis wrote:
I think you can only post one photo per assignment. Just pick the one you like the most and use that one. :)

...... but as a collage it is one photo........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:30 am 
Here's my perspective on the collage:

- Anyone who has used layers in post-processing - where any layer holds any photographic information - has also used more than one image to create the pic.
- Anyone stitching - say for a panorama, has also used more than one image for their creation.

...if you really want to be technical about it.

Personally I don't want to be "technical" about it and I prefer maximum creative freedom not constrained by anything except the pixel-limits.

If we were competing for a million-dollar prize, I might be "technical" about it, but we are not. This is just a friendly and motivational exercise to keep the passion going and to direct our efforts towards a theme.

I think ormina's collage is lovely, very creative - very bold & brave, considering the challenge of conveying so much in such a small pixel-area as this. She has even "sacrificed" a lot of space to get a specific composition and used framing, background and texture to make it more three-dimensional.

If it has any effect, the votes should show it - and perhaps that will inspire the rest of us to think outside the box, so to speak. I think it's beautiful to see so many different interpretations and creative ways to visually create an image.

I simply applaud ormina's efforts and archive her beautiful way of dealing with this theme as an inspiration. I learn a lot from everyone here and the more freedom we have, the more potential for both learning and inspiration we all get.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 am 

I'm nervous, I am bringing my camera to school today because I go to school in downtown/the heart of the city and the building right next-door to mine (future school building, being renovated) is a historic syracuse landmark, and behind my school is an awesome mural, I'm not sure what I'll do it all depends on weather and who I can get to accompany me around. I might take one in the morning of the medical district (its on a hill, theres a beautiful view of it from the road to my school at 7 am. or I could do the original (thats a surprise) I just found out I HAVE UNTIL 7 PM to post it so that good news for me! if it doesnt get posted it's out of my laziness.

good luck to you all.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next