Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:32 pm 
Good Evening

I am currently looking at a longer range lens, to photograph animals in a zoo and stuff.

I been shopping used boards in my area, and I have come across a reasonable deal. 75-300 IS USM for canon. for 365$ canadian, reasonable?

my other question is, how well would this lens function on my 400D ? I currently have the Sigma 70-300 DG, I might as well shoot the animal dead, and then set up a tripod and then take a picture of it.

Crop factor of x1.6 ?

I value any information you guys can give me.

these are the pictures the seller has included. please check them out and give me some idea.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3795 ... usmxw0.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1069/0 ... 070vs8.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jimmy, are you implying the Sigma lens is a bit slow to focus?!

I'm a bit confused about Canon's current range when it comes to the 70-300s and 75-300s. I think the Canon 75-300mm IS USM is an older model. I think the latest is a 70-300mm, again with IS and USM, but it doesn't seem to be listed on the Canon UK website anymore. I heard there were problems, so maybe it was withdrawn?

I had a quick go on the 70-300mm IS USM lens a while back and found the optical quality was actually pretty good, but the build felt quite plasticky and the focusing nowhere as quick as, say, the 70-300mm DO. The front element also rotated while focusing and almost clunked when it reached the closest focusing distance.

I can't vouch for the seller of the lens in question, but I'd definitely recommend trying the exact same model in a store first to see if it handles to your satisfaction. There's a lot of 70/75-300s from Canon, new and old, so it's worth making sure you know the capabilities of the one you're buying!

Has anyone used the 75-300mm IS USM which Jimmy's considering?

Gordon

PS - you might also want to check out the Sigma 50-500mm, although it doesn't have stabilisation.

Post subject: 75-300 IS USM
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:38 am 

Jimmy,

The 75-300 IS USM is a discontinued model which supports Canon's first generation IS technology. There is a review at http://tinyurl.com/3msge. This model was replaced by the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which is reviewed at http://tinyurl.com/cajcg. That review makes a number of references about comparative performance with the older model. If you are going to use this lens a lot it may be worth stretching the budget to opt for the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or one of the other alternatives that Gordon mentions.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm 
thank you both! I will have a test at the Sigma 50-500mm today! 500mm, thats range!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:50 pm 

Hi Jimmy! Yeah, the Sigma -500mm sounds lovely. I just read in another forum that you can forget about the quality above 400mm. So be careful and have a good look!