Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: D5300 vs D7100?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 pm 

I am looking to buy my first serious DSLR - I currently have an ageing Konica Minolta A200 - and have been considering the D7100. However, today's review of the D5300 has me wondering why I would pay so much more for the D7100.

This may seem like a naive question, but what are the superior qualities of the D7100 over the D5300?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: D5300 vs D7100?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:18 am 

Welcome to the forum! :)

Are you asking someone to compare specifications for you? I am typing one-handed today, and using very weak wi-fi signal, so I am not going to do your searching for you. :wink:

If I recall correctly, the sensors are the same, or nearly so. If that is your only concern, there is little reason to spend more money.

The D7100 has a focusing motor, so it can be used with lenses, such as the AF-D lenses, that do not have their own focusing motors. Some of Nikon's finest lenses are AF-D, and do not have AF-S counterparts, such as my 180mm 2.8D and 16mm 2.8D. I do not think the D5300 has a focusing motor, so if auto-focus is desired, one must use AF-S lenses, which have in-lens motors.

Will the D5300 meter light with AI and AI-S lenses? Weak wi-fi means I cannot easily verify this for you today. I believe the D7100 can meter with AI-S lenses, as can its D7000 predecessor.

Does the D5300 have the two arrows inside the viewfinder, that help the shooter manually focus? I doubt the D5300 has this feature, whereas the D7000 does, so it is likely that the D7100 does, too. This is a "pro" feature, that was formerly found only in the top-tier professional bodies, first making its way into the semi-pro bodies in the D7000. Consumer cameras tend to just have a green dot to indicate focus, which is less precise than the arrows plus the dot. Some really fine lenses, such as the excellent new Zeiss Otus, are manual-focus-only, and some shooting is best done with manual focus, even with AF lenses.

Does the D7100 have more frames-per-second? That is important for some folks, who shoot active subjects, such as sports, birds, and wildlife.

The D7100 may well have a more substantial grip than the D5300. I shoot often in low light, and much of the time will have an LED or Speedlight in my left hand, so I like a camera with a substantial grip, to help me hold it without having to bend my thumb. Most consumer DSLRs have skimpier gripping areas. I handled a demonstrator D7100, and found it has a quite nice grip, better for my hands than the D7000 or D600.

I mostly researched the D7100 because I thought my wife might want to upgrade from her D7000, but she has indicated she is still content. It is possibe I will buy a D7100 so we can share batteries, chargers, Speedlights, and accessories while traveling, but I am more inclined toward a D800E, if I can afford one, some time next year.

OK, I will submit this when I can get a stronger wi-fi signal. When I started typing, no other member had yet replied.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

Last edited by RexGig on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: D5300 vs D7100?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:06 am 

Many thanks for such a considered reply. No, I'm not expecting anyone to compare specs for me - in fact, in other fields, I'm usually the one who is quoting specs at people :wink: .

But specs in themselves don't really mean anything until you are very familiar with what difference they make in practice, in the field. I know quite a bit about photography but in technology terms the world has moved on quite a bit since I got my A200 and it is difficult to judge how much difference particular specifications make to both making a really good photo and enjoying the experience.

You have highlighted some aspects which would not have been clear to me at all from studying the specs alone and I very much appreciate that. I know that the only way to truly understand the differences is to get hands on in a shop but I hate being in that pressurised environment where objective advice is hard to come by (and especially as I am also considering the Pentax K-3).

Thanks again for the suggestions about areas to look at in more depth.

Richard