Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Finding the right bag
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:12 pm 

Hey,

I've just bought my DSLR so currently just have my camera and my 18-55mm lens, however I do plan in the near future buying a larger lens (55-300mm maybe?) and some other accessories such as new battery, extra SD cards, etc. I would like the bag I buy to be future proof but not burden me too much by me carrying around a awkwardly large bag I only half fill.

I often drive a motorbike a motorbike so i need something which can either be small enough and bump resistant enough for all my gear to remain unscathed in the topbox of the bike or something which can go on my back and survive the sometimes torrential downpour I always seem to end up cough in. I also need to ensure the straps are fairly secure, any plastic clips or weak fabric is no good to me.

I want to take the bag with me quite often so that I can get it out whenever I need it, this really means it's got to be easy to to take with me so leave my hands free to be carry other things and also be able to taken in cars and trains without problems too (preferably at my feet on trains as I don't feel comfortable stowing the bag away from where I'm sitting.

I realise my list of things I want form a bag is rather extensive, it's something i'd really rather get right than find out the hard way that it's not.

Any suggestions? :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:33 am 

So,

After doing some amount of research including reading the "What's Your Camera Bag of Choice??" from start to finish and watching many a Youtube video review on camera bags, It would seem the most trusted brand or at least the biggest in photography seems to be Lowepro.

I have decided that a backpack is really the way to go so that limits my choice (I did think the Lowepro rezo looked nice). I have found a view on Amazon one which is the Koolertron Canvas DSLR bag:

And the seemingly popular Lowepro 250 AW:

Koolertron
Pros:
- Doesn't look like a camera bag
- Looks feminine (Every camera bag I see seems to look fairly masculine)

Cons:
- Some amazon comments suggest the quality is poor
- Can't take my Laptop

Lowepro 250 AW
Pros:
- Well known for their good quality (and knowledge of what makes a good camera bag)
- Can take my laptop (bonus on train trips and stuff when I'll only have room for one bag with me)

Cons:
- Well known (advertises I'm carrying expensive gear)
- Looks ugly >.<

It may seem trivial it's appearance both as a pro (in the case of the Koolertron) and a con but for a bag I'm likely to carry most of the time when I go out, if it looks good or not will matter to me. Any suggestions beyond this?

Weatherproofing wise they both have a pullover cover and after some research it seems any bag is fine because you can buy the covers which go over the bag protecting it cheaply on Amazon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 pm 

Seems to me like you've sussed things out very well. Being a Lowepro fan, my only comment would be: could you perhaps get by with one of their other not-as-masculine-camera-bag-looking bags? e.g. http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/scope-travel-200-aw

Just a thought - Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 am 

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I've looked through their other bags and considered their Photo Hatchback bags too, I have to admit I think all of their line looks fairly masculine. Some other concerning things about the Koolertron though are the lack of pouches for SD cards, more batteries, etc. I keep looking at people who review their Lowepro bags showing their photography gear really organized, I don't want to have to just throw it in there and end up having to take everything out just to find a replacement battery or SD card, or for my equipment to become damaged due being loose thrown around the inside of my bag.

I think I'm going to opt for the Lowepro Fastpack just because I think it'll serve my needs and protect my camera a little better, I'll have a think about it a little more. More input would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm 

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Lowepro 250 Fastpack AW :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am 

Hi,
This is only my second post. I have had various camera bags over the years, and normally Lowepro. I have had a change now, as I have just bought the Tamrac Expedition 4x backpack which is ideal for my gear.(Nikon D5000, 18-55,70-200,and I can also get a 70-300 in the pack. It suits me as it also has a place for my ipad mini. I had tried looking at Lowepro, but there were none suitable for ipads, most of the Lowepro`s were for for normal sized laptops.
Martin