Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase two new lenses for my Nikon D3200. I like to shoot mostly landscapes and portraits, so I have been thinking about purchasing a wide-angle lens and a prime 35mm lens. The problem I'm facing is finding lenses that have vibration reduction (VR). My camera does not have internal image stabilization, so is it advisable to even consider a lens that does not have VR?

I currently have these lenses (they came with the camera):
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Thanks,
Jenn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 pm 

It depends on your shutter speed. At 35mm or wider, you should be OK without VR if you use a shutter speed of 1/60 or faster (and decent handheld technique). So you might want to go back and check the EXIF data on some of the pics you've already taken at those focal lengths to see what shutter speed was used. Or you could try turning VR off and taking some pics in Shutter Priority mode at 18-35mm with a shutter speed of 1/60 or faster and see if you find the results satisfactory.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 am 

It's nothing to worry about at all. How do you think Nikon sells all of their wide angle and 35mm lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 am 

If you shoot from a tripod then it is recommended you turn off VR anyway. When you shoot hand held you can gain extra clarity when zoomed in on a subject by having VR.

Here is Nikon's technical explanation of the VR system (note: there have been different versions on different lenses)
http://www.nikon.com/about/technology/r ... /index.htm

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 pm 

Mark/Maestro,
Thanks for the tips! I tried what you recommended last night and could not see a difference between the VR on/off pics at 1/60.

Dubaiphil,
Good point lol. I'm a beginner and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for your reply! :)

keystrokesuk,
I had heard that you should turn VR off when using a tripod. I was more worried about handholding the camera, but with the recommended faster shutter speed, I should be fine. Thanks for the link to Nikon's explanation. Very helpful!

Jenn