Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 pm 

Some of the flatness may have to do with the way the pictures are prepared for the press. I know they don't do any further editing before putting them on the web. One co-worker, the actual photographer of the group, has a Sony kit, but I don't know what he carries. One reporter has her own D7000. The other reporters each have a company-owned D50, although one guy just was upgraded to a D3100. The publisher has a D5100. The lenses vary.

We all shoot at the best quality, though we also shoot in JPG due to issues with the RAW format in the past. The production crew uses Photoshop to get the images ready for the press, which has some limitations. I sometimes get a picture I think is just lovely, only to see it edited to strange color levels to work with the press. Drives me nuts, and makes me want to take better pictures.

For photographers, all the reporters are pretty decent writers. None of us have proper training in photography.

I've discovered a new problem besides lens cap. Shooting on manual, I sometimes forget to adjust the settings between being indoors and taking an outside shot. It's been embarrassing to miss shots a couple of times, although only once did I have to go back to get shots. Luckily, the return trip meant I could get a better image the second time 'round.

I think I may invest in a lens with a low fstop next, like the 50mm f/1.8 or the 35mm f/1.8. Although if I can afford the camera itself, I will go for it.

-RT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 pm 

In time your photography will improve with your experience as is the case with all new shooters, it just creeps up on you until one day the improvements will jump out at you. You seem determined so guess you will be successful.

As far as basic setting go you only need to understand aperture, speed and ISO, as previous mentioned, setting on auto or program will give you a base line and then you can adjust in app or speed to meet your needs. Cameras are pretty smart regardless of the make so whatever mode you choose, app or speed the camera will mostly get it right.

As you found out indoor low light is another game. Personally I would not advise shooting manual until you have more experience.

Have fun

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 am 

Realtegan wrote:
I've discovered a new problem besides lens cap. Shooting on manual, I sometimes forget to adjust the settings between being indoors and taking an outside shot.

FYI auto-ISO mode might've been able to help in that situation. Of course, it will also raise other concerns since there's no free lunch.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:25 am 

There's nothing I can add to the good advice already given, but don't forget `memory` is cheap (unlike film) you can fire off quite a few shots in each situation (slightly different for sports though I know) but shoot `P` first...........then change to Manual & compare later.

Good luck with your perseverance, you'll soon see improvements & buying a `faster/brighter` lens will certainly help, as will a newer body, when funds allow.