Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need some help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 am 

I am a little new to photography. I own a Canon Rebel XSI. I have a Canon zoom lens EF 35-80mm 1:4 -5.6 on it . I did not care in the beginning because I just wanted to fool around with the camera and learn. Now that I have my foot in the door I would like a better lens. The problem is I cant afford the lens for the price they want. Long story short I cam across a bag that had old lens in it. I Google some stuff and came across adapters. I know some are cheap and crop and dim lighting but I have no choice. I read some people had no problems as long as you got the correct lens adapter. I have two lens one is Sigma 75-300mm Multi coated and a Kiron 28-85mm. in this point in time I have no choice but to use these lens. I just had a baby girl and can't afford a nice new lens.

What adapter would I need to make these lens work?
would I need one or two different ones?

If I need two different ones could someone share a link where I could find a adapter for the Sigma 75-300mm.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1397468_10151758551331589_1268553875_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1116010_10151758551366589_1307793929_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1402070_10151758551386589_2076081422_o.jpg

Thank you for taking your time and reading this.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed [IMG]-tags from posts as the pictures were very large. Please post smaller images or just leave the links as they are.

Post subject: Re: Need some help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 am 

The Kiron looks to be a Minolta (note the "MD" near the mount). While the Sigma appears to be an old FD. So you would need two different adapters. (One Minolta MD lens to Canon EF body and one Canon FD lens to Canon EF body.) And if you need/want infinity focus, you'd have to get adapters with optics (lenses) in them, which will generally degrade image quality.

Also note that these lenses will be full manual (no autofocus, no electronic aperture control from the camera, etc.) and you may have to shoot/meter in "Live View" for proper exposure.

Mark

P.S. Your pics are wider than the forum guidelines recommend:

Quote:
Posting images

You’re welcome to post images in the Cameralabs forum, so long as they’re appropriate – so again, no nudity or adult content. To be considerate to those with lower bandwidth or lower resolution displays though, please keep all images to less than 1024 pixels wide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

Thank you for the information. I'm sorry, last night I was tired and did not read the forum rules. If I want a Canon FD lens to Canon EF body and infinity focus How bad will it degrade the image quality? If I buy a adapter without the optics for infinity focus. Will I keep image quality and lose zoom focus? I would rather keep the 75-300mm so that I may shoot some wild life from a distance. Do you perhaps know of a site that sells them at a reasonable price? I don't want a cheep one but I also don't want to spend $144.00 on a conversion kit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm 

Such adapters are sold on Amazon and you can find them for a lot less than $144 though you should be specific about what's "reasonable" (I thought it was reasonable to spend the equivalent of ~$900 on a lens.

It's worth reading the feedback on the individual adapters as image quality does vary from one manufacturer to the next.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 pm 

I have a new born and cant spend extreme amounts of money on a hobby I like. It's hard to be reasonable on a price. Who knows if I will have extra money or less money to spend. I say reasonable based on the product I am looking for witch in this case is the adapter. I came to this forum to ask people who know more about this then I would. I did not want to spend money on a adapter that would not fit my lens. I guess I will order two that I think would fit and will have a 50-50 chance of getting it correct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:22 am 

Spietzack wrote:
If I want a Canon FD lens to Canon EF body and infinity focus How bad will it degrade the image quality?

Sorry, I have no idea because:

1) I have never used that type of adapter. (One benefit of shooting with a GH2 is that the short flange distance means I don't need adapters with optics.) (Which brings up another possibility -- have you checked how much a mirrorless camera owner might be willing to pay for these lenses? Perhaps you could auction them off and then use the money to buy a native EF lens.)

2) As Rorschach noted, the quality of the optics varies depending on the manufacturer.

Quote:
If I buy a adapter without the optics for infinity focus. Will I keep image quality and lose zoom focus?

To be clear, you'll lose infinity focus (that is: the ability to focus at/to infinity, regardless of the lens' focal length) (and maybe more/closer than infinity, as well, again regardless of the lens' focal length), not "zoom" focus.

Quote:
Do you perhaps know of a site that sells them at a reasonable price?

No, but a Google search should turn up several different possibilities.

Mark