Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:55 pm 

Evening everyone.
I've been doing quite a bit of work for a local nightclub ( being a student, helps pay for my ski holiday :P ) however using my 60D I have noticed that it has started to produce one- off Green raw files in camera.

what I mean by this is that I'm taking photos, and then after taking a photo it will come out vivid green. This is visible on my preview screen on camera and remains when imported into lightroom ( here is said photo. )

and yet the photo taken straight afterwards is fine.

(by the way these photos are unedited raws imported with adobes stock preset, possibly the rugby club hence the ripped shirt)

I'm using off camera flash with yongnuo ettl tranceivers. this is maybe the 3rd time this month that a photo has come out like this ( after shooting 3000 photos this month .)
Could this be the processor messing up ? Has anyone else come across this before ?

* while writing this post I was experimenting with trying to recover the colour from the photo and adjusting the tint and white balance of the photo and It appears that the sliders are already ajusted to what the raw was ( ie sliders to the far left ) returning the tint to 0 and adjusting the white balance I've recovered the photo.
What could be causing the white balance and tint to change by itself ? I had the camera in Manual with white balance set to Flash.
Cheers
Tom

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 am 

Though I cannot tell you what might cause this, I just wanted to share that my compact camera (Leica D-Lux 5) does this constantly (100% of my RAW shots have wrong white balance settings). The white balance sliders are set to 50,000 K and around -100 for tint, although the latter varies per frame. It's not that big a problem as it is quickly fixed, but whenever I show my friends pictures before processing them, they only see warm/green photos.

Hope someone else knows what causes this. And I hope the problem won't occur more in your camera than it already does.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:27 am 

Well, if this is only happening in Lightroom (or Aperture, if you use that instead) (and not on the camera's screen, which is what the OP stated was happening in his case) and it happens 100% of the time (not intermittently, which again is what the OP stated was happening in his case), then it's usually a result of the camera preset being corrupted in Lightroom (or Aperture), and can be fixed by deleting said preset file. Googling for "Lightroom RAW green tint" (or "Aperture RAW green tint") should return a bunch of hits with more specifics.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 am 

That could indeed explain the problem in my case, as I shoot B&W RAWs in-camera (so they'll be displayed as B&W on the camera's screen). Do you use any presets Tom?

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 pm 

My apologies for not replying sooner

In-Camera I have magic lantern installed which might be causing conflicts ( although the problem is so rare at the moment I doubt that's the reason) Throughout the night I keep my camera in manual and I'm only changing my aperture and shutterspeed. Whitebalance I keep set to "flash" since that is what I'm using.
When in Lightroom I import my photos in withouth any presets and then apply diffarent ones depending on where the photos were taken, ie at the entrance with my fixed light setup or in the club where I go for a darker high contrast look.
The fact that I can see the white balance has messed up in camera worries me a bit as I don't want the frequency of this occurring to increase.
I've shot a few more weekends and haven't had the problem happen so hopefully it will stay a random rarity.
Tom

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---