Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:08 pm 

Hi folks,

Steve Huff has an interesting blog comparing the E-M1, A7 and X-E2 which you can read here.

Obviously that's his personal take and I'm not sure the typical "undecided" buyer would end up with these three cameras on his or her shortlist but the comparisons are fun. Would many Leica owners consider an A7 or A7e as a back-up body? Not being a member of that particular club I have no idea. :)

My favourite quote: "I do find it funny that there are three big releases yet none of them have the name Canon or Nikon. That says a lot right there as to where the tides are turning." "Funny" as in "odd" I guess. Canon will no doubt release an M2 which will blow our socks off in their own sweet time. As for Nikon, have they totally misjudged the compact system/mirrorless market or do they have room for a "me too" offering, again in their own sweet time?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:54 pm 

Im interested to see the A7r - especially for the 36MP resolution. I don't know if Sony will have the lenses to back up their sensor, or will they just rely on Zeiss and adaptors for Leica lenses to push the sale of their Bodies.

Ive seen sample images and reviews on the new A7r and Im excited because I do plan on getting the new Leica M 240 and will think about a Sony FF camera in the future as a second body to stem the tide of rising resolution and automation, before thinking about another Leica rangefinder in 15 years time :P

What Im most concerned about the new Sony A7 and A7r is the servicing of the system after purchase. One of the reasons I sold all of my HDV and HD video cameras and my A99 is because of the feeling that once I bought it and there are problems, Sony release a firmware update years years years later or forget about the model entirely. One of the reasons why Ive enjoyed my time with Olympus and Canon and hopefully with Leica as I hear only grand things about their service.

But if the A7 system has no teething problems and is reasonable to use out of the box, man, why wont I get it as a back up body for the Leica glass I plan on buying in the next few months.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

Personally I'd only rate one of these as a big announcement, the A7. It is something we've not really seen before. The other two are just "more of the same", as good as they are in their places.

But the A7, like any "new" system, will be painfully short on nice lenses for a while so it could be one to grow into unless you like using adapted lenses with all the problems they come with. Certainly the known lenses aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Canon still have potential but a lot of catching up to do. Nikon I don't think are necessarily disadvantaged by their sensor size choice, but have just totally failed to sell it the right way. If you offer less, you need to make that a strength, not just a tick box differentiator. They need smaller lenses, smaller bodies, smaller prices. As it is right now, I'm not sure you really get any of those.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm 

Hi folks,

A bit of a personal ramble here so if you're not in the mood for being rambled at then time to read something else... :P :lol:

ePHOTOzine have posted this blog comparing the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the new Sony A7. Side by side the bodies don't look that much different in size and if the E-M5 had been fitted with the grip or the E-M1 had been used instead the difference in size would have been even less. But, check out the photo of the A7 fitted with the Carl Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 lens. A wonderful combination, no doubt, but it graphically illustrates the size penalty that a full-frame sensor can impose on the glass.

But that isn't an automatic win for the smaller m4/3rds sensor. For reference the 24-70mm f/4 is approx. 73mm x 94.5 mm (diameter x length) and weighs approx. 426g. The newly announced M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm 1:2.8, the first of a series of "Pro" lenses Olympus has designed for m4/3rds, is 69.9mm x 84mm and 382g. The 12-40mm has a similar field of view range to the 24-70mm but, while brighter, it can't quite match the 24-70mm when it comes to shallow depth of field (by a factor of approx 1.4). That said, the 12-40mm lens is the nearest match in the m4/3rds pantheon to the 24-70mm in terms of capabilities and, no surprise, as a result it's about the same size give or take.

But that isn't an automatic win for the larger full-frame sensor on the A7 or A7r either. If the option to fit a compact walkaround zoom is wanted m4/3rds bodies have the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH available. That lens is just 61mm x 26.8mm (when powered down) and weighs approx. 95g. When fitted to the new E-M1 it should, I believe, only protrude about 7mm forward of the built in grip.

So it's horses for courses. The new Sony full-framers offer more pixels and, assuming the reviewers don't spot any "gotchas", should achieve better IQ than either the E-M5 or the E-M1 even when those cameras are fitted with equivalently massive glass. If that's the priority then Sony wins - I'll be charitable and assume that Sony gets the new FE lenses on the shelves soon. But if the pixel count and IQ, which is still not at all shabby on the E-M1, are good enough then maybe the E-M1 wins as it offers a lot more flexibility.

Of course I've only addressed potential IQ and size/weight above and a look through the specs shows up a lot more differences and, indeed, areas where conventional DSLRs still win out. Personally, I now fall into the m4/3rds is good enough camp. But I'd certainly buy an A7r as well if money were no object just for the sheer joy of ownership and for those very special landscape/portrait shots where only the best (compact system camera) is good enough! 8)

Ramble over. :)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.